Chapter Four: Getting To Know You And Me

This is my own version of Aro, and Bella I hope it is not too off track. Thanks R and R if you like.

Chapter Four: Getting to Know You and Me,

As they sat by the crackling fire dancing merrily in the hearth, they settled in to get to know one another.

Bella Pointed to Aro. "You go first."

Aro sighed. "Well, I was born in a small village outside of Athens, Greece. It was about 1300 BC. I was changed at the age of twenty-six. My age of existence is 3,287 years. I was the eldest of ten children. I know it seems like a lot of kids but back in those days it was quite common. As eldest child I was expected to take my father's land and money at the event of his death. I was his heir. I was educated in philosophy and business, I had to travel to the city to be among the masters, and often traveled back and forth to help my father with the harvest and his business. I was partially close to my sister Didyme. I would dote on her and get her little gifts from the city and bring them home to her for my visit. When I was changed, she was but, 13 years old."

"Now to get to the time of my change. I was traveling one night back home to help care for my family, because my father fell ill. As I made my way on the country road by horse back, I remember I was attacked by a man. I jumped from my horse pulled my sword to face my enemy. He had the blackest eyes I ever saw. Standing tall and pale, his skin looked as though it shone in the moonlight. My horse became spooked by the man's sudden appearance and dashed off leaving me to face the adversary on my own with no hope of escape. I took my sword from its sheath and stood ready. He seemed to regard me for a time. Sizing me up, I gather. I knew one thing; I wasn't going down without a fight."

"When my opponent moved, I was bewildered as I observed him suddenly in front of my face in a flash. I was stunned beyond imagining. I thought I was surely facing some demon from hades. He grabbed my wrist and squeezed. I felt such eminence pain as my bone was crushed under such a powerful grip. My sword dropped useless to the ground. The monster yanked my hair back and tilted my head to strike, exposing my neck. He bit me then, and again on my wrist. I felt so much pain as I would never know again. Fire-like pain licked through my veins as its poisonous venom surged in my body. When I came to, it was about three days later by the roadside. A hunger and burning sensation in my throat motivated me to rise and seek relief. I ran toward home. I found my father lying in bed dying from sickness. Overcome with need, I attacked and killed my father. Shocked and devastated at the horror of killing my father, I ran off into the night. For I feared what else I would do. And never returned until I went to get my sister Didyme."

"Eventually, I set up a home in the city. I was a little out of control for a newborn with no sire to teach and guide me. I brought too much attention to myself by killing my victims in plain sight. Rumors of a dark demon that devoured the living spread widely among the humans. There upon feeding one night, I met Marcus. He was tying to find and deal with me because I put our kind at risk, and it was becoming unsafe for the vampires of the city. When he listened to my story, he pitied me, and we formed a friendship and stayed together. I learned a lot from him. How to survive in the human world and blend in."

"Marcus saw as time went by that I was lonely for my home and he took me to visit again. Much to his reluctance, for he thought would do as I have done before. You see, I was worried about how my mother was getting along by herself and my sweet sister Didyme too. Upon meeting my sister of eighteen, Marcus fell in love with her. So, we took her to our home and Marcus changed her. She became his wife. As for the fate of my dear sister, it happened at the time of the Romanian war between 400 and 500 AD. As a tactic of revenge, they assassinated our Didyme while we were on the battlefield."

"As time went on, we came across Caius. He was human then, and a slave. A wealthy man of the city owned him and had many slaves."

"That's horrible," Bella exclaimed.