Chapter 7

A great start to junior year? That would've been throwing an epic movie marathon in the gym with my best friend. Sure for the most that's exactly what happened. The tension could be sensed by everyone though. Tension for what? Me I assume. I've done something to offend Jake.

"Looks like everyone's here for the movie." Tyler informed. "Want to help me do a check around and let everyone know Anna has the concession set up?" Jake nodded his head and threw his gym bag under the table Amber was sitting at to collect tickets with Rohan. He did it sort of aggressive and Amber notice, probably assuming it was directed towards her being apart of our group once again. It wasn't though, I knew it was because of me. Shortly after she and Rohan left to find a spot to watch the movie.

"What're you doing?" I asked as Zach fumbled around with the tv and wiring on the wall. He seemed intrigued. He seemed like he actually knew what he was doing. I doubt he did.

"I'm just going to attach it to the monitor wire so we can watch and when they come up to get food, they can continue watching. I snort and turn around to him. He was going well out of his way to do something that these kids aren't going to be paying any attention to anyways.

"I'm sure everyone's seen it a thousand times." The movement of his hands lead me to believe he didn't care about that and maybe he actually liked the movie we were playing.

"And done. See." He motioned toward the tv and smiled as though I should be impressed. "Bravo Zach, will do fine." I smiled back at him and faked a quiet clap.

"Bravo Zach." He bowed in front of me as two younger class girls walked up. His little performance caused them giggle to themselves.

"Oh hey, coach Mark hasn't been able to get that tv working in months. Thanks, he's going to appreciate that." They smiled contagiously and one leaned on the counter." We would like two orders of nachos and two cokes. Please?" Zach makes a knowing face at me, like he knew he'd done something so honorable. I slap his shoulder as I turn to the crockpot with melted cheese.

"So girls, how do you like the set up?" Zach ask as he grabs their sodas. Trying to engage in simple conversation.

"Super cute. The dangly lights really set it off. Old school pallets are also adorable." He nods his head as he slides the drinks over. He could care less how they liked it.

"So I've heard." He stated dryly, remembering what I'd told him. "That is going to be $7.00." One of the two girls opens a small wallet and hands him the cash as I hand over two plastic containers with nachos. "Enjoy the movie guys!" Zach turns back around and leans against the counter watching it himself.

When things are this calm lately I've realized, they are closing in on chaos. "Someone appreciates my handiwork with the television." He rolled his eyes, sarcastically.

"Dumbass." I laugh. "Someone appreciates my set up. The lights the blankets." I pout my lips. "So adorable." He squinted.

"Wow, leave the two of you alone for a minute and you have inside jokes." Jake walks into the concession and takes out a water bottle. "Wait no, I was there for that one. Shame. I just wasn't there for the entire two hours you spent picking out blankets. My bad." He snorted.

What inside joke?

"You gotta let that go, man." Zach stated as he ran a hand through his hair. I just sighed and leaned against the open frame. I didn't sense a reason to argue.

"Hey Molly. I didn't know you came. What can I get for you?" Tyler had noticed the argument forming and stepped in to help.

"Just a hotdog." I prepared her hotdog and passed it over to her as Tyler places her money in the safe. I felt Jakes eyes burning into the side of my face.

"I'll let you guys hash this out, but don't forget we have to collect money. I think Molly is here by herself. I need to go check that out." Jake huffed and pushed off the wall. "Yeah and I'll help. But don't worry you guys I'll be right back so don't run off alone again for blankets." I rolled my eyes and forced myself down the wall to sit on the ground. My hands gripped tightly at my face and I held in a scream. He made me want to scream out so fucking loud.

"He's not going to stop. He's way too pestered." He reaches for my hands and pulled me up. "Worrying about destroying the friendship dynamic I think we killed his." He let out a sly smiled and pulled me towards his chest. "Don't worry little Anna, it'll be okay." His soft lips kissed my forehead and I'd missed the feel of the softness against my own from the day before. Without even thinking much of it I stood to my tip toes and placed a firm and reassuring kiss to his lips.

"A Walmart trip huh?" I heard Jake in the background and turned around to see the tear eyed boy standing in the door way holding the charger he forgot on top of the microwave.

"Jake!" I was surprised. He caught me completely by surprise. "Jake, listen.." I don't exactly know what I needed to explain. I'd explain it though. To my best ability.

"No Anna." He turned to the door and pushed it lightly at first. "You don't know what you're.." he laughed and a smile forced it way to his lips. "Have a goodnight Anna. A good year too." He shoved the door open much harder this time and nudged his way out of the double glass doors to his mustang. He was acting like I'd just cheated on him and I felt bad. Yet, I hadn't actually done that.

Luckily, he forgot his bag under the table. "Do you have this?" Zach nodded his head and kissed my forehead before I ran around to the table and grabbed his bag with his keys inside inside of it. He always left his keys in it. I don't know where he thought he could go so I ran outside to meet him at his car.

"Jake!" He kept walking to his car and ignored me. "You have to speak to me eventually. I have your keys!" He kept up his paces until he got to his car. He didn't care what I had to say.

"Give me my bag." He demanded. I walked over to the passenger door. He didn't even look at me only at the ground.

"Jake, talk to me. You can't be mad at me. I don't understand it." He was mad though. He was so damn mad.

"Give me my bag." He still didn't look at me, not once.

"Jake!" I yelled it at him. When he didn't answer or even look towards me I threw his bag at him and turned to walk away.

"What's that Anna? 13 years. Straight to shit. So you can be a whore with my friend. In a few months when something happens I don't want to see you. I don't want to hear from you. I don't even want to know you still fucking exist. All this so you can be a whore for the next few weeks? Honestly!" His eyes mimicked his tone and got wider. I didn't have it in me to respond to him, I ran towards the gym door and let the tears fall. I couldn't let everyone see me this way so when Jake finally pulled away I climbed into Zachs car and waited on him.

Memories flooded my mind. Great memories of Jake and I. I didn't understand how Zach and I could be so wrong for trying things out. I was heart broken though. Jake was my bestfriend and I may have just lost him, forever. Behind every good memory a fresh memory resurfaced. He stood by his car and called me a whore. For nothing. I haven't done a damn thing.

The same guy I stood beside at his mothers funeral and held his hand to comfort him, ignored me and called me a whore. He did that when I was losing what I held most dear to me. Even if it was him, he still held no actual care for my own feelings. That cut deeper than any wound ever would.

This year would be brutal for me. I don't expect Zach to be much of a buffer. I could always wish though. I could wish and pray for Zach to completely take my mind off of this until Jake forgave me.

That will not be what happens. I'll regret every second of what this year has to offer.

Wishful thinking.