Chapter 9

All things in life should be put into perspective. Today, I've put what's happened in the last week into perspective.

Jake and I are through, he made the choice himself and after much consideration, made the choice easier for me. A thirteen year friendship sent to shit quoted by yours truly. My memory led me to the next statement which went something like "because your a whore." That's not the case though. I am not a whore not have I ever been.

The reality is Jake and I had a wonderful friendship for many years and it ended because, he was selfish. He didn't think I deserved anyone other than him. Zach and I together, made him jealous. Ally and I as friends pissed him off.

As of today, I would try my damndest not to remind myself of Jake and I.

It was hard.

Seeing colors, reminded me of Jake. Seeing his car, reminded me of Jake. Hugging Zach reminded me of Jake. Watching Zach play the PlayStation reminded me of Jake. The worst thing that reminded me of Jake was, seeing Jake.

It hurt like hell.

"Anna!" A small hand closed my locker and revealed, Ally. It was time to set aside my internal memory of Jake. "So how do you think of revenge Karma?" No way was I getting involved in this.

"Yeah, uh..I don't." I turned around to her. She looked over at me. I didn't want to send her hopes soaring, I wasn't getting involved into a master plan of revenge. It was be a disaster. Karma was something I've never wanted to interfere with. It's a real thing and it affects so many people who don't consider it.

"Not something we personally do, the universe. You just sit back and watch." I narrowed my eyes. I was in complete confusion. "Just follow me." I stood still. "We aren't doing anything I promise, just watching. We get to watch it pan out. Then we watch the explosion." I decided against arguing and looped my arm with hers. "Dear Amber has gotten mighty close to our nemesis I'd say. Who may it be that she's flirting with behind precious Rohan's back though?" We sped walked down the halls until we reached the edge of the next hall and surely enough, Amber was standing with Shawn. Her hand rested on his chest and his on her waist.

"This is horrible." She looked at me with disgust. I didn't need to watch any of them hurt they way Rohan was about to. "It is, why is she like this?"

"No, this my dear is brilliant. After all they've done to you this past week their friendship is about to be total chaos." Maybe she was right, I still felt sorry for Rohan. "I can't wait to see the theatrics." I could, it would be horrible once Rohan found out. Not to mention she has gotten close to Tyler and Jake as well. I watched her car pull up to Jakes everyday. She's basically taken my place. Yet Rohan replaced Jake for her.

"It'll be epic." I respond. Unsure of how to react.

"What'll be epic?" Zach's sudden voice scared the two of us as Ally cursed and I jumped. "Hey beautiful, and not so beautiful." He wrapped his arms around me as Ally made a face at him, shoving her tongue out. "Stop spying on people and lets go to lunch." He grabbed my bag and sat it inside of his locker on our way to the cafe. "Then I can explain to you kiddos why it's never okay to spy." He seemed like he was in such a good mood. I wished I had his entire schedule. I needed his presence to feel happy. To feel okay.

Conversation clearly died out once Jake and Tyler came into view, I didn't react to it or question it at all. "Pathetic." Jake stated as he walked past. Tyler visibly tensed.

"What's pathetic is your lame attempt to make Anna feel like shit when she's clearly done nothing wrong. It's your own insecurities, man. Grow up." Zach stated as he pushed pasted then yanked the cafe door open and pointed for me to go inside. Ally grabbed onto the back of my shirt and walked closely behind me. To my surprise though, Jake didn't respond. Tyler stood beside him looking toward the ground and oddly enough, Jake looked like a deer in headlights. Zach grinned, "have a fantastic day, buddy." He clapped him on the shoulder as Jake jerked away, then turned to follow us inside.

"Zachary!" Ally exclaimed.

"What the hell did you just call me?" He was taken by surprise but wasn't mad, annoyed maybe. He hated the name which reminds me of Jake hating the name Jacob.

I need to try harder.

"Uhh Zach?" She seemed unsure. I wish being called Zachary didn't bother him. Another reminder is not what I needed. Not today and probably not ever again.

"That's better. Yes side kick?" She groaned.

"First of all that was hilarious but if I'm side kick and Anna is princess pain in my ass who the hell are you?" She pointed a plastic fork at him then crossed her arms, dramatically. We'd not even discussed what we should call him in retaliation.

At least not until right now.

"Prince getting on my nerves." I state rolling my eyes. A smile still plastered to my face.

"Anna! Ouch, I'm hurt." He fakes a chest injury as I kiss his collar bone through his shirt. The amount of jokes we exchange in a day are critical to our health at this point.

"No!" Ally announced. "Prince shit starter." We each laughed and I noticed Ally felt so proud of herself.

"We are definitely sticking to that one."

"We'll prince shit starter, how has your day been so far?" Ally joke.

"Ha ha. You guys are so funny. I don't even know how I've started anything honestly." He pointed out. Ally used her hands to tell him she still asked him a question, one that he left unanswered. "My day went pretty well Ally."

"We don't like the nicknames anymore?" She questioned. "Too bad, I've just started to really appreciate what we have done here." He was not enthused.

Today was going great until I left school. Things at home had been tough lately and I couldn't exactly escape them.

Today was worse though. "Anna we should talk." Was my mother's opening statement. I knew the reality of what's been going on at that point. I knew what was near. I've been through this before parents divorcing. It was a tough conversation.

When I picked up the phone nearly calling Jake, I knew it was wrong. He wouldn't forgive me. He wasn't even there for me last time I was hurting. For fucks sake, he was the one hurting me. Why would he be there now? He wouldn't.

So I called one of the two people I truly had anymore. Zach.

Zach lived thirty minutes from me but I was upset on the phone and he said he couldn't bare it. Promised he'd be at my house in twenty minutes. I should've told him not to speed, but I didn't. I needed him. More than he knew and more than I wanted to believe. I needed Zach here. My year was going to shit faster than I could've ever imagined.

Zach arrived to my house in nineteen minutes and I ran to the driveway with my packed bag he engulfed me in his arms and loaded my things for me.

We didn't talk about it.

I didn't want to.

He didn't mention it or ask about it.

That entire night, he held me. He'd play with my hair or kiss my hands. I fell asleep on his chest, his breathing soothed me to no end. I slept so peacefully.

Going to school the next day felt impossible for me but his mother told me it was all okay. She pulled me into a long hug and promised me, I would get through it all. She was so sweet to me every-time I was at her house and made me feel so welcomed. She claimed I was easy to get along with because of my sweet personality but it was her, she was a darling. She was as genuine as I'd known a person to be.

"Anna, when you get to school today. Ignore that group who belittles you honey. You don't deserve it and Zachary can take care of it. Tonight, if your house is too much, please come back here. We don't mind." Her sympathy smile was appreciated but her warm hug is what almost sent me to tears. She was as genuine as they come.

I would try again, today. I didn't want to

I wanted to give up. Everyone made me want to give up.

Yesterday was a bad day. I don't see today getting much better.