Insanely Genius

What's your favorite flavor ice cream?

I like straight vanilla bean with peanut butter mixed in. ITS HELLA BOMB.

Also, apologies in advance, Ik that I didn't sprinkle in quite enough kiribaku😖

I hate myself so u don't have too🤧

___________________________________

    Carefully sitting back on the couch, Shoto pushed the journal into Bakugou's hands. More gingerly than Shoto thought possible, Bakugou cradled the journal as if it were a delicate snowflake. He let his fingers trail down the side, misery making a home in his eyes.

    Everyone silently watched Bakugou study the cover. His blonde eyebrows pitched together as he read the letter on the front.
Shoto couldn't help but remember the strange words...

    "I'd appreciate if you didn't throw this one in a pond. Or burn it. Or tear it to shreds..."

    Bakugou's face suddenly shifted, as if a switch had been flipped, and he shoved the notebook back into Shoto's hands so quickly, it could've been on fire. Bakugou tersely buried his face in his hands, and Kirishima's arm snaked around his back, comforting him. Everyone else, however, stared in stunned silence. No one had ever really seen Bakugou look so emotionally distraught.

    "Why didn't you open it up?" Kaminari prodded not unkindly.

    Bakugou shook his head and then nodded appreciatively to Kirishima. Kirishima squeezed Bakugou's shoulder in support, and Shoto had to avert his eyes again. Another pang of jealousy shot through him, and he tried to shake it off. Since when did he care about things like companionship? He didn't like the various emotions fumbling around in his chest like tumbleweeds.

    Focusing back in, Shoto heard Bakugou say, "Because I didn't need to. And, I really didn't want to. I recognize the handwriting."

    "You do?" Shoto asked, trying to contain his enthusiasm.

    "Yeah," Bakugou practically spat. "That book was written by a kid named Izuku Midoriya. He was my childhood best friend."

    Shoto felt his eyes widen in surprise. What were the odds of Shoto's mystery boy being so closely tied to Bakugou?

    "Half and half. Wipe that smug-ass expression off your damn face. You can't go near that kid anymore, got it?"

    Shoto shook his head. "Why not? I don't understand."

    "That kid's a loose canon. He's totally crazy. Growing up, he used to get made fun of for not having a Quirk. It was already really rough on his mental state, but when All Might told him he couldn't be a hero... he completely lost it. Then, something really weird happened. He suddenly developed a Quirk. We called it Splice. Basically, he flips between different personalities against his will. He didn't stick around long enough for us to figure out what triggers the shift, but what we do know is that he's a full-blown nut-job. It doesn't end there, though. When he flips personalities, he can't remember where he was or what he was doing. If all that wasn't bad enough, he's a genius. He's the smartest kid I've ever met."

    Shoto drank up Bakugou's words like a sponge.

    Splice. That would explain why he couldn't remember meeting me this morning, and why his personality seemed completely different.

    "What do you mean by... 'didn't stick around'? Did he leave, or something?" Shoto asked quietly.

    Bakugou's scowl deepened. It seemed like he was almost at his patience limit with the conversation. "Deku started getting into a lot of trouble really quickly. Soon the cops got involved, and he couldn't take it anymore. He left us all a note saying that he couldn't control himself, and that he didn't want anyone getting hurt because of him. That was the last time I ever saw him. It broke his mother's heart. That selfish bastard just up and left."

    Bakugou stood from the couch and began heading for the stairs, Kirishima not far behind. "I don't want anything to do with him. And honestly, neither should you." Bakugou let his eyes drill into Shoto's before scaling the steps.

    "If he told you to burn that... Then listen. He is no force to be reckoned with."

    Bakugou and Kirishima disappeared, Shoto's other friends soon joining them. Hands trembling slightly, Shoto looked up when Uraraka gently set her hand on Shoto's shoulder.

    "I'm not stupid, Todoroki. I know you won't get rid of that. But, please; at the least, try to be careful, okay? If Bakugou is scared of this guy... maybe you should be, too." And with that, she ascended the stairs, leaving Shoto alone with the notebook.

    Shoto ran his fingers over the front cover, looking for hidden messages among the neat scrawling.

    "Who are you... Izuku Midoriya?"

___________________________________