Abandonment

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

I'd have telekinesis. Like, moving things with my mind. Do u know how easy it would be to pull pranks then?

Oh, and I could fly and stuff like that, but whatever. Making people think they're house's are haunted sounds like so much more fun.

___________________________________

    The next morning, Shoto rolled out of bed at the crack of dawn. He didn't need to get up so early, but he didn't want to risk dreaming again.

    He'd dreamt of Izuku shoving him over a cliff, wearing a charming smile as he watched Shoto plummet to his death. He'd dreamt of Izuku hugging him in the rain, leaning in to kiss his scar and whispering sweet nothings in his ear. He'd watched Midoriya leap off of a roof, only to look over the edge, and see him spread-eagled on the concrete below, blood pooling around his head where it had bashed into the ground. More times than he could count, Shoto had woken up in a cold sweat. Once, he'd even been crying.

    Each dream was impossibly worse than the last. If avoiding those nightmares meant he forfeited his sleep, then he would gladly never close his eyes again.

    He showered, changed, and combed his hair before joining his classmates downstairs. Almost all of them were spending their breaks on internships, but the few who weren't were volunteering at the police and fire departments in order to earn extra credit for various classes. This meant that by the time he found his way to the kitchen, everyone else was already wide awake.

    "Morning, Todoroki!" Momo chirped as she passed.

    Shoto was too tired and depressed to be cheery, so instead he just nodded his head. He sulked his way into the kitchen where he pulled a tupperware with his name on it out of the fridge. He sat down at the dining table with his classmates, and pecked away at his cold soba as they discussed their internships.

    Shoto wasn't interested, so he just kept his head down. He avoided socializing, but still got some stray glances from his peers. He knew his eyes were puffy and red, so he was especially thankful when he made it out of the house without anyone commenting on it. He really didn't want to talk about why his heart felt like it was in shambles.

    "Where the hell do you think you're going, Scar-face?"

    Shoto could've dropped dead right there on the pavement. He was so sick and tired of everything, and now he needed to deal with this bastard? Running away sounded a million times better than facing his problems head on, but running didn't have much luster when your problems could actually chase you and shove explosions down your throat in return.

    Shoto stopped but didn't turn around.

    "I asked you a question."

    After a moment, Shoto pulled down his hood and faced Bakugou. "It's none of your business."

    "Oh, really? Because I'm pretty sure it fucking is. You were going to go see that Deku bitch again, weren't you?"

    Shoto didn't respond. Instead, he blew out a long, slow breath. Mist fogged the air in front of him. His silence was answer enough, however.

    "So, what? I warn you about how dangerous this guy is, and you completely disregard everything I say?"

    "He's not dangerous--"

    "LIKE HELL HE'S NOT!"

    A few birds took flight from a nearby tree, lifting up into the velvety sky. The sun had only just begun it's ascension, staining the clouds cotton-candy pink and harvest orange.

    "Like I said. It's none of your goddamn business."

    "Why are your eye's all red?"

    "What?"

    "They're puffy, your eyes. Did he do something to you?"

    Shoto was stunned by the conversation's sudden shift in direction. He stuttered, before saying, "N-No. He didn't do anything to me."

    "Liar! You're just as bad as he is! Really, you two bastards are perfect for each other." Bakugou turned around and made to walk away, but Shoto chased after him. No one talked about Midoriya like that and got away with it.

    "I don't understand why you're so mad! Midoriya— he's not even a bad perso—"

    Bakugou reared around. "Oh yeah? And what the hell do you know about him?"

    "More than you!" Shoto said, fists clenched.

    Bakugou growled, explosions sparking in his palms. "He abandoned us. He left the people who loved him."

    "Let me guess? You were one of those people?" Shoto spat, sarcasm practically dripping from his words.

    Bakugou stayed quiet.

    "Figures. You didn't even care about him."

    "I NEVER SAID THAT!"

    "You didn't have to! He left because he felt the need to. Don't assume he abandoned you. Maybe... Maybe you were the ones who abandoned him first."

    Bakugou ran up to Shoto and bunched his hands in the front of his hoodie. He towered over Shoto, and for a moment, Shoto braced himself, expecting a punch. Instead, Bakugou dropped him, and buried his head in his hands. Shoto brushed off his clothes, then brought himself to his full height; he had a few inches on Bakugou.

    "You blame yourself. And rightly so. Midoriya is not a bad person, Bakugou. You are. I don't know why you're so hell bent on keeping me away from him, but right now, he needs help. And I'm the only person who can give that to him." Shoto felt an immense amount of satisfaction saying those words. It helped ease the pain in his heart.

    Bakugou stared at the floor. "Shut the fuck up, Half n' Half. Deku doesn't deserve your help. He made his choice. He should have to live with it."

    Shoto turned on his heels and began to walk away. Now they were just going in circles. This conversation was over.

    "He's going to take you down with him!"

    Shoto just kept walking.

    Now, he was more determined than ever. Even if he couldn't see Midoriya, Shoto would help him in any way he could. He would prove Bakugou wrong, and do his best to give Izuku the life he deserved.

    Everything was going to work out. At least, that's what he kept telling himself. It was the only thing keeping him going.

____________________________________