Anxiety By Candlelight

Are you a dog or a cat person?

I'm a cat person, but that's only because I'm super allergic to dogs and can't touch them. And I'm kinda scared of them.

But I'm also allergic to cats, so that's kinda a shitty excuse. I'm also allergic to the air tho. And the ground. And the plants all around. So to hell with it all

Thanks for reading this far. Y'all real ones.

Also, this isn't important, but rn my cat, Motor, is snoring so loudly I can hear her over my music. She's ruining the vibe😔

__________________________________

"There. Will that satisfy you?" Shoto asked passionately, trapped between Midoriya and the ground. He inhaled deeply, trying to catch his breath.

The other boy looked small, but he was stunningly muscular, and consequently, heavy. Shoto rolled him over into the gravel as carefully as possible, then swiftly scoped him into his arms. He was out like a light.

Shoto would've taken Midoriya home, but he didn't have the faintest clue where the other boy lived. Plus, he still needed to pay his respects to Touya's shrine, so Shoto decided to compromise and take Midoriya to his old room. He delicately laid him on the plain bed, and pulled a loose blanket up to his chest. Then, hesitantly, he brushed an arrant green hair away from Midoriya's face.

He looked so happy and peaceful in sleep. Shoto grinned bashfully; he'd never met someone who smiled in their sleep. It was infinitesimally adorable.

Shoto perched on the edge of the bed, troubled; Midoriya was supposedly a villain. In the notebook, he'd actually acted like one, going so far as to purposefully stress out his other half. But, if what Midoriya claimed was true, and his two personalities had in fact merged together, Shoto hadn't picked up on any malicious or vile vibrations. Which, he should've, right?

It had always seemed like Midoriya was trying too hard to emanate malevolence in the journal. His words often felt forced. Could his behavior have been falsehearted?

When Shoto had met the "evil" Midoriya in person, sure, he had been mysterious and a little overconfident, but he hadn't been rude or manipulative; nothing about his nature implied villainy. His presence at first had unsettled Shoto, but now he knew why; he had only ever been speaking to half of Midoriya at one time. But after finding out about his Quirk, Midoriya's paradoxical company didn't bother Shoto anymore.

Ever since Shoto finished reading the journal, he had been skeptical. Was Izuku Midoriya genuinely evil? Was some part of him really as dark as he claimed?

Or was there deceit at play?

Shoto gently eased his bedroom door closed. Midoriya looked tired; Shoto guessed he would be out for a while. He wandered through his house, navigating the long corridors and bland hallways. There were no pictures of his family on the walls, or awards from his father's past achievements. There weren't even any decorative plants to spruce up the place. His house reminded him of a ghost town; it felt deserted and uninhabited. Not that the feeling was unfamiliar.

Shoto made his way to the kitchen to pour himself a glass of water. He pulled Midoriya's journal from his backpack and loosely flipped through the pages, absently admiring all the little doodles penned into the margins. On the page with his own hero notes, there was even a drawing of him in his hero costume.

Objectively, Midoriya was a talented artist. Subjectively, Shoto thought he was amazing, and probably one of the most well-rounded people he'd ever had the pleasure of meeting. His renditions were so life-like and detailed.

Was Shoto's ass really that big?

Shoto abandoned the notebook and stepped outside, deciding it would probably be best to salvage any of the flowers that had survived Midoriya's arrival. Shoto gathered up the few presentable blossoms left, and tossed the other's into the bushes. He set them in a vase, and centered them on Touya's shrine. Then, after paying his respects, he meandered to the back of the house. There, he sat on the rear porch.

Head in hand, he watched the sky broil. In the distance, the clouds began to weep, blurring out the horizon in favor of a diluted grey fog. The sound of rain gradually coming closer helped calm the turmoil within him.

Shoto's life was nothing short of hectic on a good day, but now everything seemed overwhelmingly chaotic. His father was breathing down his neck; Midoriya was ambitiously drilling into Shoto's life, consuming both his thoughts and time; memories of his past were resurfacing and threatening to smother him; and he still had school work to finish.

Homework couldn't possibly be further off Shoto's priorities list at the moment, but it was worrying him nonetheless. His tedious everyday responsibilities were a sobering reminder that Shoto was still a hero-in-training.

He had never been a nervous person, but ever since his first meeting with Midoriya, he felt like there was an electric current thruming through his body, forcing him into a constant state of hyper-awareness. He was exhausted and drained, but even still: knowing Midoriya was sleeping soundly just a few doors down made him feel wide awake. He felt giddy, like he could go dance in the rain.

What did that mean?

Shoto didn't want to think about it... But when memories of Midoriya's bright smiles and curious eyes resurfaced, he couldn't help himself.

Midoriya was obviously not repulsed by Shoto, which was good, he supposed. But that didn't necessarily mean he felt anything specific for Shoto either.

Did Shoto want Midoriya to feel something towards him? Friendship, maybe?

Shoto had plenty of friends in UA, but none of them made him feel the way Midoriya did. Actually, no one had ever made Shoto feel this way.

It was like drowning in a sea of sensations, nameless emotions shoving into his lungs like water, choking out all logical thought and reason. The weight of his newly enriched emotions felt like a sharp pressure in his chest; a deep, unrelenting desire.

Shoto squinted upward and let the thought wash away in the rain. It had reached him now, speckling the rocks beneath his feet. The koi pond bobbed along the surface, sending the fish into a mellow furor. Shoto held out his hand, letting the rain water run over his palm.

Soon, Midoriya would wake up, and Shoto would probably have more problems to pile onto his growing stack of worries. But, for now, Shoto would sit in the rain.

He'd try not to think too much about the bubbly feeling low in his stomach, or why it was there. He'd ignore his past and present responsibilities, and how much work he'd have once the day was up.

Instead, he would listen to the rain fall, and enjoy the pink blossoms drifting down around him in the gloom.

Oddly enough, Shoto could feel the bitter cold feeling of emptiness receding within him. In its place was a deep warmth unfurling in his stomach, like a flickering candle.

He was overwhelmed and worried. And that sucked.

But with Midoriya so close, he no longer felt lonely. And that realization was breathtaking.

___________________________________