When He Loved Me...

CallaHalo 

Yes. It's sad, I'm sad, let's get going. 

"Heart been broken so many times..." -youknowwho

~ song by Randy Newman ~

Darryl hummed to himself, ukelele being strung as he made his way towards the bridge. It was almost time to witness the perfect sunset from the spot only he knew. Sighing, he watched as his breath turn visible by forming into a fog. Halting his pace, he started strumming the start of the song and with one last preparation for his voice, he started with a smile.

"When somebody loved me
Everything was beautiful
Every hour we spent together
Lives within my heart"

It was in Science class when they first met and he could've swore his whole world lit a new sense of liveliness. It was like finding out about colours he hadn't seen before. Finding someone like him. 

Callahan was his name. It was then Darryl knew, there was no way of backing out now. Call it love at first sight if you will. All he knew was that he was falling deeper in every interaction they made.

"And when he was sad
I was there to dry his tears
And when he was happy so was I
When he loves me"

That was it. They became friends. Very close one if he recalls well. They were there for each other when they needed them the most. Visiting each other's dorms, movie nights, and late night talks. Darryl swayed a little, reminiscing about his favourite part of the scenes. They'll sneak out, give each other some lunch whenever the other forget to buy one for themselves. And no matter what, Darryl knew. 

He knew that Callahan felt the same.

"Through the summer and the fall
We had each other, that was all
Just he and I together
Like it was meant to be"

Summer break came and it meant so much more for the pair. They hang out together almost every single day like it was the end. It gave them more chance to actually be close, super close with how Callahan had invited him to meet his family. It was nerve-wracking, of course. Darryl will say it all the time if asked what he was feeling. 

Although despite all the stairs and judgement, he felt reassured whenever Callahan intertwines their hands together with a smile; and that's when Darryl knew that nothing else mattered as long as they have each other.

"And when he was lonely
I was there to comfort him
And I knew that he loves me"

Darryl woke up one day to have Callahan knocking on his dorm's door. When he opened it, he was surprised to find him in such a heartbreaking situation. Engulfing him into a hug, it was minutes later when Callahan had finally decided that he'll open up and tell Darryl the reason. He told him of how his family didn't accept Darryl and his sexuality, told him all of the things he needed to get off his chest.

And Darryl stayed. He listened and reminded Callahan that he was there. It was the only way he knew how to comfort someone and he was glad that it worked. He was glad for so many things- especially glad that Callahan had told him about this because in a sense, he understood. 

He loves him and vice versa. And Darryl was willing to stay.

"So the years went by
I stayed the same
But he began to drift away
I was left alone
Still, I waited for the day
When he'd say, 'I will always love you'."

Whilst humming, Darryl observed the way the sky has slowly dimmed, the sun beginning to set for the day, the river's flow going towards the sun's direction. A slight ray reflecting off the liquid and bouncing around the rocks. The cold starting to settle in.

Darryl thought they'll stay the same way forever. Maybe even a little bit better...

Yet he thought wrong. Soon, Callahan began hanging out with different people. Had different classes, hobbies, and schedule. Just like the breeze, Darryl felt the love from the said male slowly went by without a single trace.

Callahan met Alyssa, one thing lead to another and before Darryl knew it, he was receiving news that the pair has turned into a newly blossomed couple.

Something he thought he would be with... him.

"Lonely and forgotten
Never thought he'd look my way
And he smiled and held me
Just... just like he used to do"

They've met once again, this time in different paths. There he was, Callahan, with an arm around Alyssa's waist. Just when Darryl thought it wouldn't hurt more, he was spotted.

Weeks of avoidance, of drifting apart. Darryl would've never thought that he would ever see the same smile he had fallen for be directed back at him. He wanted to escape, run as far as his legs can take him. Away from every heartbreaking memories he tried so hard to forget.

Yet he stood frozen. Stood still as Callahan wrapped his arms around him in a familiar hug he so fondly knew.

It was the last straw. The push that sent him past his limit.

Darryl knew he would never be able to move on.

"Like he loved me
When he loved me ..."

Darryl's eyes were downcast, his mouth pulled into an unwanted yet needed frown. His fingers stopped strumming, both arms going back to his sides as his ears sharpen at the sound of the river's current flowing underneath the bridge.

"When somebody loved me
Everything was beautiful
Every hour we spent together
Lives within my heart"

His voice croaked at the second line. The grip on his ukelele loosened and did not flinch when the said instrument hit against the stone bridge. Nudging his shoes off, Darryl took his pair of sneakers and slowly stood over the ledge. 

"When he loved me..."

And he jumped.

"NO!"

Yet Callahan was too late. Too late to tell Darryl how it was all a ruse against his family. It was a facade! An act! Had he done it too well?

One thing he knew for sure. He's too late.

Also, just a heads up, (not that it would really matter) we will be having a power outage here starting 6 am - 6 pm. So uh, yeah? Y'all are free to spam while I'm gone I guess... so I could have some stuff to read when I come back on.

-Be_Del