My Savior (Chapter 43)

Louise's POV

*Flashback continues*

As we left the house, all I saw were girls from the village with fancy dresses, one bigger and fancier than the other. One thing they have in common though is that they really want to be able to catch the prince's attention.

The nearer we got to the palace, the brighter and more grand everything became. It all started to feel real once people got off their carriages and started walking with their elegant outfits to the grand hall. Royals from other kingdoms were no exception. Every one of them displayed gowns and suits that were proudly made by famous designers. This just tells me how huge royal events are. Not to mention how huge the chances are for me not to get chosen. It just goes to show how useless attending is. But I'm here now so might as well enjoy myself.

I climbed out of the carriage with the help of one of the royal butlers and waited for my turn to enter the hall. They have a weird way of doing things though. Once you enter, they announce your name and go down a fancy flight of stairs. As my turn got closer, I held my breath and got ready to enter a different world than what I'm used to.

"Next we have Louise Stanford, a graceful maiden from Luxenburg."

As I walk down the red carpet I was nervous from the eyes of the audience staring at me. It was deadly quiet as I checked out the big and luxurious room. But I was focusing on not tripping on my dress. I am wearing a bright red puffy gown with matching diamonds sewed in it. My hair is tied up in a messy bun with white heels straped on my feet. It feels like Cinderella entering the ball of her prince. But the difference is that I'm not sure if I want a prince charming. And as I was near the thrones where the King and prince are sitting. He smirked at me and I bowed down low to pay my respects and blended through the audience.

I knew this party would be boring but I didn't expect me to be so helpless. I'm probably the only person who feels left out. Since its a royal party, I can't even seem to enjoy the food since I have to think about my repution or else my mom would kill me! When will this nightmare be over? I'll just go outside for a while. I need some air.

"Excuse me, miss. May I speak with you?"

I turned around and saw a man smiling at me.

"Yes sir? Do you need anything?
"No there's nothing. I just wanted to know if we could talk for a while."

I have nothing better to do. Might as well go with the flow. He seems like a nice guy.

"Sure. That's fine with me."
"May I know your name?"
"I'm Louise, a maiden from the village. And you are?"
"I'm just like you. I'm a citizen of the village too."

I can't seem to believe that. His suit looks too expensive to even be bought by a normal citizen. He even has a golden badge. Hold on a minute, I know that badge. As far as I know, the only people who have those are the ones who serve the royal family.

"Are you a son of a royal soldier?"
"How did you know? Is your father one too?"
"Well not really. I just noticed from your badge."

And our conversation went from there. He wasn't so bad for a son of a retired captain of the Royal guard. He's actually quite funny.

"Having fun, are we?"

I looked behind me and found the crown prince with a drink in hand.

"Good evening, Your majesty. Well yes, we're-"
"I didn't ask for your opinion. You should go back inside. Your father is searching for you."
"Yes, Your Highness."

And just like that, my company during this boring party went inside. Who does this prince think he is? He's so rude.

"Now that there's no distraction, I could finally talk in private with you. Louise, right?"
"Your Highness, I don't think you should be talking to me. I believe there are already a lot of girls waiting inside just to talk to you. I'm just a villager with no special title."
"Well that doesn't matter to me. The thing is, I like you, Louise."
"I don't mean to argue, Your Majesty, but we've just known each other for half a day. How can you say that you actually like me?"
"It doesn't matter. I just know that I want you to be with me. I-"
"Look, Your Majesty. I'm going to say this as clear as possible. I only came here because of my parents and not on my own free will. I have no intention of marrying anyone. So if you'll excuse me, Your Majesty, I'll best be going now."
"Wait! "

As I was about to leave he suddenly grabbed my arm preventing me to leave.

"Your Majesty, please let go"
"You wouldn't want to cause a rumor, right? Let her go."

Another handsome man went in our conversation. And his suit is so much fancier than a normal citizen. Is he a prince? But thanks to him His Majesty let go of my hand.

" I didn't know that the prince would be so forceful. "
"But-"
"Your Highness, its best for you to go back inside."

He walked away and went back in his boring party. I can't believe him! I refused him as well-mannered as I can and he just treated me like that. What right does he have?

" Are you alright, miss?"