28

Chapter 28:
Late for the first time

It was almost a month after such aftermath of devastating news to both country leaders. All the days to count was used by Leni to clear her name to the public especially to him.

Now, both president and vice president were expected to attend the graduation of police officers in Silang despite the huge issue that spread through even the other countries.

It was already almost time for the opening ceremony but for the first time Leni was late that brought up a thought to all the guest that she wasn't capable of attending because of the shame she suffered with that video.

There was an empty seat beside Digong and as usual it was reserve for only her as the second highest official.

"Himala late ata si ma'am," Digong thought as he tried to cheer himself up despite that he didn't know if he can handle seeing Leni again after what happened. He knew he crossed the line on what he said their but its too late to say sorry.

"Pasensya na sir, mukhang di daw makadadating si ma'am Leni."One of her PSG informed Bato who was just on the side of the president.

Bato turned his gaze to that security of hers and said,"Ganoon ba, paki-sabi nalang rin na kung kailangan niya ng mga police paki-tawagan lang ako." he mumbled, offering help for Leni.

Digong was intrigued on what Leni's security had said so he taps Bato's shoulder and asked, "Ano sinabi sayo?"

Bato looked at him with a questioning one after seeing such president interested on such information, "Mayor, sabi mukhang di makaka-attend si ma'am kasi masama daw ang paki-ramdam." He answered adding some not so true details.

"May sakit man si ma'am?" Digong asked worriedly.

"Sus, Mayor dakip ka na agad..." Bato jested while laughing at the president that did a poker face because of anger.

"Pangalawang pangulo pa rin siya, kaya dapat walang mangyari sa kanya." He refuted with such seriousness.

"Uhm-"

Bato as stiff on he saw something from the president's back which had made Digong even confused at the moment, "May multo ba?" he jokingly questioned.

"Anong mangyayari saakin at hindi po ako multo,"

"Anak ng p*t*ng*n*,"Digong cussed because he for himself was startled to see the one and only--Leni.

"Sabi mo hindi siya dadating ehh, bakit andito?" he whispered to Bato as Leni takes her seat and settled to it.

The crowd went to noise when Leni arrived as some of the audience called her...

"Bakit nasa posisyon pa yang malanding babaeng yan,"

"Kaya pala laging naiisyu kay cong. Bolet."

"Baka totoo nga yung abortion niya dati tapos ng nanalo tinakpan na,"

"Ngayon may iba naman, kawawa ang lalaki..."

"Leni Robredo di ka diyan nababagay sa inuupuan mo, dito ka sa bench hindi vip seat."

All those nonsense blabbering brought an ache to Leni's heart as she just smile faintly and hides her tears once the graduates pass through them.

"Ma'am okay ka lang?" he decided to approach her with a comforting pat on the back and giving a set of tissues to her.

"I'm so sorry but I think I need to leave now," she said her goodbyes while running off the stage, doing a walk out that caught the attention of the press once again.

"Bong samahan mo," he instructed Bong to follow Leni for he had a guess that a mob of reporters would swarm over her again.

Even for him, it pains to see Leni in such vain caused by that trouble... He was right Leni's name was ruined and her reputation was down to the surface as people deprive her from being happy and enjoying any event she attempted to attend and everytime she always walk out of shame.

The ceremony was finally done but still Digong was concern on what might had happened after Leni's run off. He decided to take the chopper to arrive quickly back to the palace after all the next day they would have a cabinet meeting.

Morning came and finally one of his PSG entered his office bringing an brown envelope.

"Good morning Mr. President, andito na po ang mga list ng mga taong nagpahiya kay ma'am Leni kahapon." the PSG reported while giving him the information.

"Salamat sige na balik ka na sa post mo." he simply said his gratitude and sending the PSG off with a genuine smile.

He was scanning through it and tried to remember all the names on the list with their faces, "Mali ang ginawa niyo, kaya you maybe deserve some punishment." A smirk formed across his face once he had an idea.

"Busy ka ata bai," Delfin greeted, entering the room with the other cabinet members.

Panelo peeked through the files and stated, "Pinahanap niya man lang yung mga nangbully kay VP noong graduation." He shared the details to the others, indeed he was the spokesperson of the palace.

"Sus, huwag niyo akong sisimulan. Hali na kayo simulan na natin ang meeting para matapos na agad." he enunciated to all the gentlemen in the same room as his.

While all of them was teasing him and asking how were the things between him and Leni now.

"Ano kayo friends nalang?"

"President and vice?"

"Kayo pa rin ba?"

"Lumubog na ba ang ship ng Dubredo?"

"Digong ano nga kayo?"

"Wala," one word that escaped his mouth that silenced all the noisy members of the cabinet as all of them gasped in shock.

Meanwhile on the office of the vice president, everyone was so busy doing their own jobs and especially now to clean their boss name off that scandalous issue of the year.

"Ma'am okay ka lang po?" Leni's personal assistant asked once she saw her busy looking pale and weak.

"Ah, oo don't worry wala lang akong tulog..." She reassured her staff with the biggest smile she can do despite having a sleepless night of endlessly crying on her bed.

She had received a hug from her assistant saying, "Ma'am we believe in you po and we will know who was the reason behind this. Pahinga ka na po ma'am baka magka-sakit ka pa, just tell me po if you want me to prepare the room for you." it was more like a hug from a child that was given to Leni as her assistant offered her many things with such confidence and great fighting spirit of positivity.

"Salamat sa lahat, talagang maasahan ko kayo." Leni replied with such elated tone as finally there was a reason for her to be at least with ease and relief away from all the negative comments and opinions that thrown over her.

To be continued...