love, marriage, & a baby carriage

"I cannot believe you ate squid."

Sanai tried not to grin, putting a hand on her stomach and grimacing instead. "Doesn't go down easy. At all."

"Nasty," Bobby made a face, taking her hand when she met him at the end of their driveway. "I'm open to shit, but you...yeah, you different."

"Whatever," she shook her head as they walked toward their house. They had just came from another date night, this one at some sort of Japanese restaurant where fearless Sanai had a ball trying dishes she did not know how to say or spell. Bobby ate his usual "I know what this is and I like it" Japanese cuisine, while his girlfriend wanted to be adventurous.

She had claimed the squid was good, but her face said otherwise.

Anyway, Bobby and Sanai were celebrating their anniversary, and, no, not of their relationship, but of the first time they ever met. He remembered it like it was yesterday, while Sanai chose to forget how embarrassing it must have been to walk in and see a girl struggling with her mailbox. And maybe it was embarrassing to look at the sender of his mail and assume where he used to live before officially meeting him. It seemed smooth and cute back then, but now she cringed at it despite Bobby giggling and telling her it was all good.

He wasn't kidding when he said that day changed his life, even confessing over their dinner that he called his best friend right after their interaction to gush over her. He'd never told her that until tonight, almost four years later, but he'd figure the night was already special, why not spill it all?

"I should have just ate the sushi," Sanai muttered while Bobby unlocked the door, "it wasn't too terrible."

"Um..." he went to disagree, heading inside and closing the door behind them.

"What's this?" Sanai stopped in the living room, looking at the newest decorations. A smile was in her voice, and suddenly, conveniently, Bobby's hands started to get clammy.

Sanai's mother was a legend, because while they were out, Bobby had asked her to put the final touches on his plan to ask her daughter to marry him.

Yes. Marry.

A marriage.

He had been ready for a long time, but he was waiting for the right time to do so. Between relocating, owning a branch of a very large company, and then having a woman who was as busy with small touring and making her own art—don't forget his dog having puppies!—it was overwhelming, and by the time he thought about it, he was in the bed snuggled under the covers, ready to sleep.

But things finally seemed to settle, and Bobby picked a new ring he knew Sanai would like. He had went on an adventure with William to Sanai's favorite jeweler while him and Jelisa stayed in the UK for a week. She already had rings and pieces she really liked, and she was a loyal customer, so the guidance from the jeweler plus what Bobby was willing to pay? Chef's kiss.

"If you wanna fuck me, then say that."

Bobby blinked, chuckling deeply at his girlfriend, who was strolling to a small bag on the glass coffee table. "You're ridiculous."

"Can I open this?" she asked excitedly, biting her lip and pulling at the tissue paper anyway. Bobby stepped closer, leaving lingering kisses on the side of her face, his hands on her stomach and ass. "Ooh, a new watch! This is the one I was looking at yesterday!"

"Mhm," he hummed, wetting his bottom lip as she spoke. He was no doubt close to pinning her on the mattress, but patience was a virtue and he wished to propose to her tonight.