[Chapter Fifty-Six] Shawn

Chapter Fifty-Six – Shawn

You know, I’m not particularly thrilled about her leaving to go to California with this guy, the guy I was jealous of for months, the one who caused me to drink heavily after Mari left knowing she would be sleeping with him, I just keep on thinking of them together and what would it be like if he had been the one to get her pregnant?

I was going to torment myself with these thoughts this coming weekend especially with Mari so iffy about her feelings and mine for her, I trusted her but I was still worried. Plus he would have to be a huge asshole to try anything with her when she was expecting another man’s baby.

I hoped he wasn’t a huge asshole.

But I would get to spend more time with Lalexia, we had a great time when Mari and Marla were gone and I was going to take her to play at this indoor place, I don’t know, but it looked fun and I know she missed going to the park.

It was good that it would start warming up soon, it was borderline to be able to take her outside but if she was in my care I really didn’t want to take her and have her fall and hurt herself or get sick, I know it happens but I couldn’t handle that with her gone, to have her come back to something wrong with Lex, god this terrified me more about when he’s born.

What if I do something wrong and hurt him? What if I can’t get him to stop crying and am a bad father, Mari kept telling me to calm down and it wouldn’t seem so difficult when he was here.

Maybe I freaked out so much about it because it was easier than facing my other issues, if I focused or obsessed about that then I wouldn’t have to think about the other things that I had to do, like the huge thing I still hadn’t told her yet. It also made sure I was kept busy and couldn’t go meet up with anyone, the first time didn’t go so well and I would like to avoid something like that again.

Sure I saw them but I also outranked most of them and so at work they wouldn’t say anything since I smoke the shit out of Yule for bringing Kline to my apartment and his team leader is still giving him hell for it, his lazy ass would either book out of here as soon as his contract is up or get in shape and learn some respect.

When Jones got after him for what he had done, Kline gave him attitude and blatantly ignored him, his mistake, especially with it being in front of other people. He was low man in rank, barley out of basic and Jones worked him until he threw up and then pushed him again.

His next mistake was talking back to him because of it which earned him another round the next day and then for the next two until he learned to shut his mouth. He was pissed and came to me yelling and demanding respect from me, which earned him some more.

He was the idiot who went after his superiors in general let alone in public.

It was known that Yule and I were buddies and smoking him sent a clear message not to mess with me right now, the guys were the ones who sent him to my place, their mistake.

I was leaving work when one of the other guys from dinner that night came up to me; Hartland would be retiring after this year and we were all going to be sad to see him go. I would like nothing more than to blow him off and go home to my girls but unlike some other fuck head I knew some respect.

“Shawn.” He acknowledged and I wanted to groan. He was here because the others sent him and I felt like a child about to get lectured, he was as fatherly as Beth was motherly.

“Robert.” If he wanted to drop formality we could do that.

“How about we go for a drink.” He made it sound like a question and that I had a choice but with Robert there really is no choice, you just do.