[Chapter Sixty-Five] Mari

Chapter Sixty-Five – Mari

I was taking a big risk with him but the best part was that it didn’t actually feel like a big risk, it felt so natural that it should freak me out but it didn’t. Everything about him calmed me.

The weekend was great but bitter sweet. I spent the next two days with Marla and I felt indescribably sad that our days of living together were numbered. I know she wouldn’t be gone forever but it felt like it. I stayed with her in her room at night and she promised she would be here when Collin was born; she would be on the next flight as soon as I told her I was going into Labor.

“I don’t want you to go.” I said Monday night, she was leaving in the morning, her suit case was packed and she had packed up the rest of her room, I told her we would take care of it when we moved.

“I’ll miss you.” she laid beside me in her bed and I sighed

“I’ll miss you too. I’m happy for you.” in a way I envied her, I wished sometimes that my life was that simple, that I had no responsibilities and could just take off for a few months like she is. I sometimes wondered what it would have been like if I hadn’t gotten pregnant. Sometimes I even wonder what my life would be like if I never left home.

Hell, I would probably be married by now and I would have money but I would be absolutely miserable if I never would have run away.

But what if I had finished school and left? I would have an education and I still probably would have been an addict living with them but, I don’t know.

I sat there sometimes torturing myself with that what if game and it’s not that I didn’t love my life; I loved Lalexia, I loved Shawn, I loved Collin. I just wondered.

“Promise me you’ll let him in more, I need to know you’re taken care of.” I rested my head on her stomach and looked up at her.

“I have been, I’m moving in with him soon and I told him I loved him.” she already knew this.

“I just don’t want you to halt everything there; don’t be afraid to be with him. He’s not going anywhere so just let go a little. Let him help you, let him love you.” she said and I groaned but nodded.

I was so bad with accepting help, I liked doing it all myself.

“Promise.” She held her pinkie out for me and I wrapped mine with hers and like with Lex, those kinds of promises were like law in this house.

Lalexia came and curled up in bed with us that night and I felt bad it left Shawn alone but he understood; he always did. Marla cried, I cried and Lex was the one who told us it would all be okay, which made us laugh.

In the morning Shawn had us up and he took us out for breakfast before we headed to the airport. Ed was waiting for us and Shawn glared at him which made Ed shift uncomfortably.

“Shawn, go with Marla and Lex to check her in.” I eyed him and he started me down for a few seconds before Marla grabbed his arm and Lex just grabbed his hand and went with them.

He wrapped an arm around me like he always did and kissed the top of my head.

“Take care of her, promise me.” I looked up at him and he looked into my eyes before looking away

“I promise, I do like her a lot. I just don’t love her.” I nodded

“You might one day, if you try anything again I’m making no promises that he won’t hunt you down.” He tensed

“Yeah, I actually spent a lot of time watching my back. Army guy is scary.” He said and I smiled

“He’s not so bad. But I worry about her and I need to know you’ll be good to her and she’ll be flying back when Collin’s born.”