Chapter 3

Once Captain Rudy gave his orders to his crew, he then showed Ella to his quarters to talk more.

“Ella take a seat.” Ella hesitantly looked both at the captain and the offered chair, reluctantly Ella took a seat. “Ye know sailing?” “Ye?” “You.” “Never been on a ship but I read about it. Why?” “Land lubber.” “Huh?” “One who cannot sail nor any experience; you will learn the way we speak in time.” “I told ya I read on sailing and other stuff.” “Different when you are doing it.” “What tis you want?” “Ye be helping on deck with me son... teach him lassies and land lubbers can be like ye.” “Just show we aint fragile?” “Aye, if he becomes more than a bucko that fine too.” With some pirate lingo thrown in Rain known as Ella had a somewhat confused look but was sure she understood the old salt. “Me and or me son will help ye learn some pirate talk if ye want.” “No, you guys are busy to do that... Where will my quarters be?” “Follow.”

When the captain and Raina came out of the captain’s quarters the crew peered at them for a brief moment then continued working. Raina’s quarters were small and next to Ashton’s room. “Lass take ye time, I am going confer with me son about ye terms, he will not know about ye teaching him.” “Teach without him knowing?” “Aye!” Ella slightly nodded giving captain Rudy the que to leave.

Raina sat in her quarters debating whether to unpack her small bag of clothes and or hide her sword, and her bow & arrows. Instead of unpacking Raina slid everything underneath her bed and then left to find Ashton who should be hopefully waiting for her.

Ashton looked up seeing someone standing in front of him “are you-” Ashton took the mop in hand and said “swab ye wench.” “I do not know many pirate words but I know ye. What did you call me!?”  “Wench, a women or peasant.” “My name is Ella, so use it and I will use your name... Ashton, right?” “Aye, me name Ashton. I do not care if ye call me-” “Would you rather me say ye pirate or stupid pirate?” Ashton looked like he was thinking, about to explode till Ella spoke again “Swab just this area?” “Aye, find me when done.” “Aye.” Ashton left leaving Ella to mop.

Ella hummed while she mopped, Ashton talked to some of the crew about Ella’s terms while Ella was mopping. Though the crew heard the terms they were curious on her terms and reason coming aboard, but will also respect them while observing her.

Ella finished that area, she took the mop and bucket with her as she looked for Ashton. Ella found Ashton below deck at a table talking with fellow buccaneers. “Ashton I am done mopping.”  

Ella took a quick glance at the few crew members that were sitting at the table with Ashton. Ashton gestured from Ella to some of the crew. “Fellows Ella, Ella some of the crew.” Ella gave a shy smile for she wasn’t sure what to say. A pirate next to Ashton stood up and said “we heard ye terms, welcome aboard. Me name is light foot Billy.” “Light foot?” “Aye. I can do anything aboard or walk up behind ye silently.” Before anymore introductions could be done Ashton got up and walked over to Ella, “enough! Follow me.” “Mate-” “She is going help cook prepare food.” “Let her rest.” “Guys I am right here, not a spirit. Ashton lets go.”  

Both Ashton and Ella went to a closed door, opened and walked in to find another pirate. “Cook she is to help ye.” “Aye.” Ashton left; Ella helped cook as best as she could even as she took a plate of grub to the captain’s quarters. “How tis going?” “Doing some work, have not figured how to show Ashton he can trust me or how to teach him secretly.” “Lass ye already teaching by doing some work, he will learn to trust ye eventually. Ye go eat.” “Yes, I suppose.” Ella left back down below deck to eat as well. After finishing her food Ella took her plate to the kitchen to clean; dare she tried take any empty plate for the pirates may grumble.

Right after finishing some cleaning pirates came in one after another dropping dirty dishes on the counter or on the side of the sink for Ella to clean. Once again after Ella finished cleaning the dishes Ella went to find Ashton to see what else to do.

“Ye can do whatever: go sleep, have some grog, or just dance.” “Grog?” “Rum.” “Ella come dance!” “I guess that is another reason you are called light foot, you like to dance.” “Aye.” “Let go dance.” For a few hours the buccaneers and Ella danced happily until Ella went to bed.