13

Chapter 13: Flame

"So, Hisa-chan, how many forms are there in your Phantasm?" Hisoka asked, using his bungee gum as a whip and swinging it to Hisashi. She jumped to dodge it before pulling the bowstring, an arrow materializing almost immediately before firing it to him.

"I don't know. As of now, I have 50, I think? Or was it 60? I can't remember." Hisashi answered, firing three arrows simultaneously at him. They're at Hisashi's backyard now. They're in the middle of a battle while talking casually.

"But you have spells to activate it. Advance and solidify, is that it?" Hisashi staggered backwards as she purposely let herself get hit by Hisoka's attack.

"That'd be a secret." She winked at him, giggling. A loud scream suddenly echoed all throughout the household. She immediately headed inside the house, making her way to the newly built room. She opened the door and saw that the kid was in the corner of the room, sitting above the floor while hugging her knees close to her chest. She was trembling in fear.

"Hey." She called out softly, entering the room. The kid calmed down a little, relaxing her body. "Calm down, kid. I won't hurt you." She slowly went closer, crouching down in front of the kid when she noticed how she looked behind her, her eyes clouding with fear once again. Hisashi immediately looked back, only to see Hisoka peeking. She tilted her head slightly, telling him to leave since he was scaring the kid. He frowned, clearly sulking, before turning around and left.

Hisashi shook her head and returned her attention to the kid. She sat in front of the kid, smiling softly. "What's your name?" She asked.

"Y-You're that s-super girl, right?" The kid asked, making her widen her eyes. So the kid remembered her? "Y-You're her!" The kid squealed, standing up and immediately enveloping her in a tight hug. She blinked, confused of the sudden change in the kid's behavior.

"I've been wanting to see you, super girl!" She widened her eyes at what the kid said. "It was so sad because my mommy can't be like you!"

She removed the kid's arms on her neck and letting her sit in front of her once again.

"What's your name, little girl?" She asked, still confused. The kid's eyes which were filled with fear was now twinkling in happiness and excitement.

"Flame!" She answered almost too enthusiastically, making Hisashi sigh softly.

"Okay, Flame, how did you get here?" She brushed Flame's black hair back using her fingers and checked if she had a fever or not.

"I saw the bad people getting inside the forest and saying that this is your home, so I followed them but then there were explosions so I ran back and hid but I got stuck in a rabbit hole and it was already night and raining when I got out and–"

"Flame, breathe." She stopped Flame's rambling, standing up and pulling Flame, letting her sit on the bed.

"But when I got out your house wasn't there. But I know it was there! But I don't see it. But I didn't leave and saw your house again!" Flame was so energetic as if she wasn't freezing under the rain a few hours earlier. Hisashi pursed her lips when she realized how persistent Flame was.

"You should've gone home, then."

"No, I don't want to because I have no mommy anymore, and my daddy calls me a monster because of what happened to mommy when it wasn't even my fault that mommy can't fly like you do." Flame fiddled with her fingers as she talked.

"What? What did you do to your mommy?" She interrogated Flame, her eyebrows furrowed.

"It wasn't my fault that my mommy can't fly like you and I didn't know that she would fall." Flame's voice faded out. Hisashi's eyes widened when she think she knew what Flame meant.

"Flame, what did you do to your mommy?" She asked, giving emphasis to every word. Flame pouted, eyes fixed on the floor.

"I didn't know that mommy can't fly–"

"Flame."

"I pushed her because I wanted to see if she can fly like you but she fell and she left me and her neck and arms were weird and she bled and that scared me." Hisashi's mouth went agape hearing what Flame just confessed. "It isn't my fault that my mommy isn't amazing like you and my mommy can't fly like you and my mommy can't glow like you."

"Glow?" She changed the topic, sensing that Flame was uncomfortable when they're talking about her mother.

"Yeah, you're glowing white and you're so strong and you're so cool." Flames eyes were twinkling, as if she's talking about her favorite show.

"You can use Gyo." It wasn't a question. It was a statement. Flame looked at her, tilting her head to the side and confusion is on her face.

"Gyo?" She doesn't know what Gyo is? Hisashi thought, raising her right and releasing a small amount of aura, forming into an object above her palm.

"What do you see?" She asked Flame who immediately answered.

"A rose!" Flame exclaimed, making her squint her eyes. "And what's that pink on your arm? I hate pink!" Hisashi immediately sighed.

"That Hisoka.." she mumbled, shaking her head. "Flame, do you know Nen?" She asked the kid, putting her hand down.

"Nen?" Flame asked innocently, making her twitch her eye. I knew it. She can use Gyo without her realizing it. That fact only meant one thing. Flame already has Nen since her birth without her realizing it, or knowing about what it is. An inborn talent. She can see a potential, or more like a threat. Not to her, but to other people who desired power and to be the strongest.

"Listen here, kiddo, my name's Hisashi–"

"No, you're Super Girl!" She pursed her lips, shaking her head.

"I'm Hisashi, Flame, not Super Girl." She said, making the kid pout.

"But you're Super Girl.." Flame's voice faded out.

"But my name is Hisashi, kiddo." Flame met her gaze, her black orbs glistening.

"But I don't want to call you that! I want to call you Sensei!" Hisashi's eyes widened when Flame stood up, standing in front of her before bowing her head. "Please take me in as your student, sensei! I want to be strong and cool just like you and you're sad that's why I want to be with you and.. and.. and.." As Flame struggled to finish her sentence, Hisashi could only stare at her, wide-eyed by how she acted. This was the first time that someone asked to be her student so she doesn't know how to react.

"Eh, Flame..." She chuckled nervously.

"Sensei! Please take me in as your student!" She scratched her head while Flame still had her head bowed low.

"How can I even say no when you're calling me sensei already.." she said in a low voice, making Flame's face lit up as she looked at her.

"Really?! Thank you, sensei! I promise to be a good student!" Flame squealed in excitement, making her smile a little.

Flame wanted her to be her teacher, that's a fact. She can sense that the kid was sincere and was telling the truth.

Even with Flame's absence in the knowledge of Nen, she was able to use Gyo without her realizing it. That was an amazing thing for Hisashi, since it wasn't a basic skill but the kid already mastered it.

Flame talked to her for almost an hour, telling her that someone was chasing her while she was looking for Hisashi. Flame described them as the very bad guys. Due to her inborn ability to use Gyo, she had managed to escape those very bad men who were using Zetsu, and that was when she saw the bad people who were the Elite Soldiers, discovering Hisashi's home soon after.

Hisashi had other things to do, but taking in a student won't hurt, especially if that student is persistent.

Now that she has Flame under her wing, she will make sure to keep her safe and to keep her from straying into the dark path. She will make sure that this kid babbling in front of her would become someone who is feared because of her strength and someone who doesn't need protection and instead, would protect. She will make sure that this kid, Flame, wouldn't become a monster that she was when she pushed her mother off the window. Well, she will, but no one knows what might happen in the future. A woman can hope.