31

Chapter 31: To Freedom

Upon finding the exit, Hisoka, Rei, and Illumi immediately headed to a certain direction in full speed, Yon trailing not too far behind them. For the first time over these past few years, Hisoka felt lost and clueless. He doesn't have any idea of what they are doing or what they are talking about. He had a hunch that it was from Rei's past, but he didn't know why or how it was connected to her past. Seeing that Illumi knows and he doesn't really infuriates him, but he kept on a cool facade since bombarding them with questions can only delay them. He's good at pretending after all.

While running, he felt another two presences nearing them. He was about to take his cards out when Illumi spoke.

"Do not engage. They are not our enemies." He only squinted his eyes and stopped what he was about to do. From the northeast, there were two cloaked figures that emerged as they both ran beside Rei who was leading the run. They exchanged looks and Hisoka clearly saw how Rei's eyes changed, from orange to the eyes of On Users. She was obviously angry.

"Rei, you're with these guys?!" One of the cloaked people asked. It was a female's voice and Hisoka immediately recognized it.

"That's right. They are the people who attempted to abduct her. They're her siblings." Illumi said, making him look at the former with squinted eyes. He knows. And I don't.

"Yes. They're not joining the plan starting now." Rei said, her voice was cold. It was so unlike her, and it made Hisoka wonder what was really happening. He wanted to ask, but he knew it was a sensitive topic so he kept silent.

"What do you mean they're not joining?" San asked. Rei went silent for a few seconds before opening her mouth to speak.

"We don't want outsiders to be involved in our internal feud, don't we?" Her words struck Hisoka like lightning. And there, she just made it clear that she sees him as an outsider rather than an ally. He should be happy and satisfied since it also means treating him as the enemy in which he should like, but he didn't know why his chest hurts at that moment.

"We'll be on standby, then." Illumi said. Rei didn't answer him and looked at Hisoka sideways instead.

"Hisoka, after this, we should settle things out. You are a challenge I ought to overcome to be victorious." She turned her head towards the path once again and sped up, Ichi and San doing the same thing and leaving him and Illumi behind.

He should be happy, right? He should be excited and he should be itching to fight. But why is he not feeling those? Instead of excitement and confidence, why does he feel like he wants to back out?

"You shouldn't have gotten your hopes up, Hisoka." His head turned towards Illumi when he suddenly spoke. He was looking straight ahead with his black orbs.

"What are you talking about?" He asked, slowing down when Illumi did the same thing.

"She is your enemy, right? You are supposed to beat her and kill her. You should not have gotten attached in the first place." Illumi stopped running when a large mansion came in sight, the three siblings running towards it. They stopped behind a large tree, hiding.

"Getting attached? Who? Me?" He asked in a mocking tone but Illumi ignored his words.

"Fighting her will be your biggest mistake – no, scratch that, neddling with her affairs is a mistake itself in which you have gotten yourself into." His left eye twitched at what Illumi said. What's his point?

"You're one to say."

"This is a task given to me by my father. I should assist Rei in her troubles outside and leave all the matters in the inside to her. Father was the reason why she became an assassin, and so it's natural for him to give out orders like this." It was like a bomb dropped on Hisoka with what Illumi said. It only meant that Illumi knows her for a long time already and that he knew everything. For him, it was kind of.. unfair.