14

Chapter 14: Invitation

It was a chilly day, with Hisashi sweeping the backyard and Flame was behind her, trying to maintain her Ren for a few hours. It has been two months since she took Flame in as her student and nothing much happened except the fact that Hisoka has been sulking in the corner even more. She didn't know why.

Flame suddenly dropped to the ground, panting. "S-Sensei, s-six hours, f-forty-three minutes, and two s-seconds." Flame breathed out, letting her back fall on the grass.

"Oh, have a five minute break, then make it seven and a half hours."

"Yes, Sensei!" Flame exclaimed, closing her eyes. Hisashi started sweeping again, her eyes darting towards Hisoka who was on the roof of her house, looking up to something.

"Hisoka?" She called out, standing straight. Hisoka looked at her, his eyes squinted. "What's wrong?"

"A fireball." Hisoka answered, looking up to the sky once again.

"What?" She asked, confused before darting her gaze towards where he was looking. And there it is, a blazing fireball rushing towards their direction. She blinked, shrugging. "You can take care of it." She diverted her attention into sweeping again, humming a certain tune as Hisoka smiled.

"Gladly." Hisoka fixed his eyes on the fireball, waiting for the perfect timing. The fireball was aimed towards Hisashi who was sweeping. He produced bungee gum in each of his hands, readying himself to jump and meet the fireball halfway.

He squinted his eyes, looking for the right timing. Not yet, wait, no, not yet, almost, almost, there! He, then, jumped, stretching his arms and putting his palms together in front of him. He spread his arms apart, enough for the fireball to fit in his expanded bungee gum.

He smirked when the fireball was wrapped with his bungee gum, but his smirk disappeared when he felt himself getting dragged by the fireball. Its strength when it was wrapped with his bungee gum only lessened a little, and since he was in the air, he couldn't stop himself from getting dragged.

"Oh." Hisashi said, letting go of the broom before holding on to Hisoka's ankles, laughing when she was also dragged for a few steps before falling to the ground, Hisoka and the fireball following after her.

"That hurt." She rubbed her forehead which hit the ground, standing up before looking at Hisoka.

"That was epic." He said, referring to her holding on to his ankles and accidentally falling to the ground. She shrugged, darting her gaze towards the fireball that was losing its fire because of Hisoka's bungee gum.

She and Hisoka went closer, taking a closer look at the fireball that came out of nowhere, with a beat up and sleeping Flame in the background.

"Did you see where it came from?" Hisashi asked, crouching in front of the fireball while he was behind her.

"No. It was just suddenly there when I looked up." He answered as he pulled Hisashi to stand up and hid her behind him when the fireball started to crack.

"Oh, it's breaking." Hisashi mused, staring intently at the ball which now lost its fire. The crack traveled from the northern part of the ball, going down to the south. Hisoka eyed her sideways, amused by how her eyes twinkled in interest at the sight of the mysterious fireball.

He returned his gaze to the ball, which was now slowly opening. The crack grew as Hisashi turned more and more impatient, and after a few seconds, the fireball divided into two. Their eyebrows met, seeing a paper inside. Why would a paper be inside? Wouldn't it burn?

Hisoka removed the bungee gum, crouching down and taking out the paper which was folded in the middle. He flipped it to the other side, and saw something written.

"What's that?" Hisashi asked, placing both of her hands above each of his shoulders before bending down, her head just beside his. He turned his head towards her, only to widen his eyes when he found out how close her face is to his. He suddenly felt his heart throb. W-Wha-What the..

He averted his gaze towards the paper in front of him, trying to focus in it more as Hisashi read what was written.

"From Silverio." Hisashi's eyebrows met. "Silverio who?" Hisoka stood up, handing the letter to her as he stood behind her.

She opened the letter, reading what was written aloud.

"Greetings, skilled fighters. Pardon for the entrance this invitation has made, since that method was the most effective way to determine those who deserved this invitation-Flame, five minutes is up!" She shouted, looking back at Flame who immediately shot up and exclaiming a "yes, sensei!" She, then, used her Ren once again as Hisashi returned her gaze to the letter.

"If you are reading this letter, you probably stopped my fireball. If you happened to fail in stopping it, you might have met death." She grimaced before continuing. "Let's get back to business, then. Congratulations, Hisoka and Hisashi! You are both invited in a warfare hosted by your very own sender, Hariko Silverio, me."

"This is getting interesting." Hisoka commented, Hisashi nodding in agreement.

"I named this battle The Dyad Warfare. The Dyad Warfare will determine which pair will be the strongest, the fastest, and the smartest among all contenders. There will only be one task for you to pull off; to capture the demon lurking in the mountains of Terashina. Further details about the warfare will be discussed during the kickoff to be held at 23:00, a day from now at the Illusionism Ruins. I hope to see you there, The Infamous Eccentric Couple. Have a nice day!" Hisashi's eyebrows met with what the Silverio man called them. "The Infamous Eccentric Couple? What does eccentric even mean?" She looked at Hisoka with questioning eyes.

"Eccentric means strange or unusual. Are we really eccentric?" They both returned their gazes at the paper, eyes glued on the last word of what Silverio called them.

"And we aren't even a couple." She said, looking at Hisoka once again.

"Yeah, they always think we are. I mean, we've done things only a couple does so I can't blame them if they think that way."

"You don't have to broadcast that."

"Ehh?!" They both looked at Flame who suddenly exclaimed. Flame's eyes were wide and her face looked like she heard an unbelievable thing. "You both aren't a couple?!" She asked, shocked by the overheard conversation.

"See?" Hisoka turned to look at Hisashi with her meeting his gaze. "Even the kid thinks we're a couple." Hisoka averted his gaze towards Flame once again, Hisashi doing the same deed.

She shrugged, walking back to her house. "Well, we can't blame you. That's how you all perceive things." She said. Hisoka followed her path.

"Sensei, if you aren't a couple.." she stopped walking and looked back at Flame, Hisoka copying her. "If you and that man aren't a couple.." Flame looked at them with curious eyes. "Then what are you?"

Yeah, right, what are they?