≫19

Lina peered at herself in the mirror upon the medicine cabinet, vision blurry as she gripped the bathroom sink, legs wobbling like jelly

Large, dark bags hung from her eyes, and she glared sharply at her reflection, too afraid to blink in fear that her eyes wouldn't reopen.

As if the world around her had grown a layer of frizzled, soft hair, everything looked fuzzy to her, but she was used to her lack of vision; it's not like the blurriness was new, anyway.

The white tile beneath her feet made her shiver, freezing her into an ice cube as a dim light illuminated her skin, and she inhaled the faint sent of frebreeze as the soft murmuring of the TV sailed through her ears.

Sluggishly, the girl's hand twitched towards the cabinet, brushing against the small handle that was propped up on the side of the mirror part of it, and she slowly grabbed it, feeling as if her arm was a hundred pounds.

The hinges squealed softly as she pulled it open, and, without looking at the various medicines that littered it's shelves, her fingers habitually found a cardboard box the size of a drug-store bandaid container, setting it down on the counter surrounding her sink.

Fiddling with the box, she somehow got the small object open, and promptly grasped the corner of a small, plastic rectangle of a packet, fishing it out.

The lowered the box, and her fingers searched for the flap on the edge of it, squinting at the item.

Peeling it open, she caught the two semicircles of glass that tumbled out of it in her palm, and she quickly tossed its container to the side, grasping her contacts- careful not to break them.

Leaning over the sink, she placed one of them onto the top of her finger as she pulled down her skin to slip the contact into her eye.

Once she got it in, she repeated the process with her other eye, blinking rapidly as her eyes began to water subtly, but the fuzziness in her vision had ceased, leaving the world looking sharp and focused.

Placing the box back into the cabinet, Lina grabbed an orange cylinder off of the bottom shelf as she expelled a long, tired sigh, and unscrewed the white lid, staring at its contents.

Inside was a jumble of round, almost circular pills, and she stared at them, hesitating for just a moment.

How did it get to this?

Lina pursed her lips together before dumping two of the white pills into her palm, and soon brought them to her lips, throwing her head back as she swallowed them down, devoid of the need for water.

Screwing the lid shut she returned the container to the medicine cabinet, her feet dragged as she slumped towards the door, fingers turning the door knob.

Pulling it open, the girl shuffled to a halt as her eyes fell to the ground, eyebrows knitting together as a small, rectangular object blocked her path.

Her knees touched the ground, and her hands enclosed over the hard cover- fingers running down its textured spine.

It was a book.

The image of an eye decorated the front, accompanied by the bold letters 'Nineteen eighty-four.' The corners of her lips quirked upwards as she stared at it for a moment, propping open the cover.

No writing illustrated the immediate blank page, nor had anyone left a note on the back- as if this book had just appeared out of no where, devoid of a signature or a reason to be there.

Narrowing her eyes at her surroundings, she saw a small crack that shot up the hallway wall opposite to her, a white door with paint smudges on it, and a random jacket on the floor, but no person- like it had manifested out of thin air.

Shrugging it off, Lina's feet carried her towards her living room, which connected to her kitchen, book in hand.

The first thing that invaded her vision was Na Jaemin, who, per usual, had a dark cup of coffee resting in his hands as he sat lazily on the couch, watching some type of drama on the TV.

Hearing her footsteps, Jaemin glanced at the girl, and immediately grinned, eyes crinkling. Awkwardly, Lina smiled back, clutching the book closer to her chest.

"Why do you always have coffee?" She asked quietly, walking towards the kitchen.

"Because it's bitter," He cooed, taking a long sip of the liquid.

Lina's eyebrows pulled together; she had always thought coffee was too bitter, but she nodded nonetheless, snatching a box of cereal off of the kitchen counter.

As she grabbed a bowl from the sink, Jaemin noticed the item folded in her grasp, and smiled thinly at it.

"What's that?" Jaemin pondered, attracting Lina's attention.

"This?" She asked, holding the book up higher.

Jaemin hastily nodded, and Lina sucked in a breath, glancing towards the ceiling.

"1984 by George Orwell, published in 1949. Winston, a character in the book, has to rewrite history with lies, and he begins to hate the Party AKA the government. Anyway, it covers the consequences of totalitarianism, perpetual war, historical negationism, propaganda, and repressive regimentation, and the omnipresent government surveillance of every human and their behaviors within their society- modeled after Stalinist Russia. It's mainly famous due to London's- which is where this takes place- lack of razor blades in this book, which is a consequence for the high amount of self-inflicted-"

"Whoa, what?" Jaemin uttered, eyes slightly wide.

Lina sighed languidly as she poured her cereal into the bowl- too lazy to add in milk.

"Pretty much it's a book about the government brainwashing people, which results in people not being happy," Lina breathed, pulling a spoon out of a drawer. "I haven't read it yet, but it sounds good."

Whilst Jaemin distantly nodded, feeling as if he had just read a whole book report on 1984, Lina stabbed her cereal with her spoon, scooping it past her lips.

Sorry about not updating yesterday, some stuff came up