Chapter 23

9:46 PM~~~

When I was walking out of the bathroom, Zack's adam's apple was literally a few inches away from my lips, I looked up, Zack had his hand up in a fist like he was about to knock on the door.

"You can go in, I'm done." I grumbled tiredly.

I charged my phone, and laid down on the bed, I felt like my energy was drained from today's practice.

My phone chimes.

Riley: I tried convincing Miles, but he wouldn't switch.

Payton: It's fine, it's only going to be 2 weeks.

Two weeks? Now I'm thinking about with that stalker said, 'If I can make you fall in love with me within 2 weeks, will you say yes to be my boyfriend?'

Boyfriend? Get together with my stalker? Impossible!

'I'm asking you, give me a chance, please.' This person seems so sincere from what they said, even though he/she is shameless to say such things.

I shook my head, trying to get out of those thoughts, "Oi~ get out of my head."

About 5 minutes later, Zack was out of the bathroom with his pajamas on, correction, just pants! He left himself shirtless.

"Why are you showing off?"

"I'm not, I always sleep like this."

I slumped back on the bed-frame, still texting Riley.

"We barely talked today, aren't you going to say hi to me?"

"What if I don't want to talk to you?" I said.

"Come on, don't be mean." He chuckles.

I rolled my eyes and got comfortable in the bed, so I tried sleeping, forcing my eyes shut.

~~~

My eyes couldn't help but open up slowly, my body gaining energy to get up, it was still dark out, I groaned while grabbing my phone from the nightstand, the time was 11:38 PM.

I looked over to see if Zack was asleep, he wasn't there, I looked around the room, he was no where to be found, I checked the bathroom, not in there either.

Where could he go at this hour?

Why is it my business, I couldn't care less!

But.... what if something happened?

He's a strong guy, he wouldn't be reckless.

Why would he leave at this hour?!

Stop worrying about your enemy!

Now that I think about it, we're technically not sworn enemies.

But we're not exactly friends either.

Uuuuggghhhh!!! Stop worrying already Payton.

I groaned loudly and got up, took my phone and key card, as I went out, the hallway still had lights on, well, they do leave it on 24/7, why wouldn't it be on? And they keep everything open 24/7 in this hotel.

I looked in the dining hall, bar, stores, he was still no where to be found, so I encouraged myself to keep looking, for Zack's safety sake.

I shakily walked through the outside pathway, there I saw him sitting on a stoned bench, looking up at the stars and moon.

"I didn't know you were into Astronomy."

He turns away from the sky to me, "What are you doing here?"

"I should be asking you that! Who in the world gets up at 11:30, almost midnight, in this cold?!"

"Then why are you here?" He smirks.

"I'm sleepwalking and sleep-talking, bye." I tried walking away, zombie style.

"Forget it, I know you're pretending." He laughs.

I stopped pretending to sleepwalk, I sighed, "Fine, just answer me first."

He looks back at the stars, his smile slowly fades, "I can't sleep."

"Why?" I asked.

He didn't say anything, he stayed silent.

"I can't sleep either, every night I'd wake up, I listen to music to help me sleep." I said.

"Then why're you taking a walk instead?"

He caught me!

"Uh, uh, I'm... uh," I sighed, it was no use lying, "You weren't there when I woke up, I thought something may have happened, but don't get me wrong, I'd be worried for anyone if they disappear."

"Oh," was all he said.

"What about you?" I asked.

"I just wanted to be close to the stars tonight."

"Can I join you?"

"Sure." He grins.

I sat down next to him, looking at the stars twinkling in the sky.

"My brother wouldn't let me take my sleeping pills to this trip, so I'm afraid to sleep."

"S-sleeping pills? Drugs? Why would you take them?"

"Because if I don't take it, I wake up in sweat, my heart races, I would feel... suffocated."

"From a nightmare?" He nodded, "What kind of nightmare?"

He stayed quiet for a while, finally he spoke with a heavy breathe, "My mom."

My eyes widened, "Your mom?"

His eyes get teary, "Every single nightmares I'd get, would be only about her, some good but sad, other would be terrifying, like that memory."

I frowned.

His breathe hitches, "When I was 10 years old, my mom died in a car accident, I was there, I survived, my mom...." he sobs, shaking his head while looking down on the floor.

I wrapped my small arms around him, hugging him, comforting him, his tears wet my shirt, but I didn't care, he needed this comfort more than anything.