Chapter Twenty

Homecoming

Shutting her locker, Ember started up the hall towards the front of the building. Since it was homecoming day, her mother came to pick her up so that Ember could get her hair done by aunt Draya. Ember was still so undecided about what hairstyle she wanted and she only had a few hours to make up her mind.

"Damnit!" Someone shouted.

Ember's eyes darted over to an annoyed Paisley. Her books had fallen out of her hands and paper scattered all across the hall. Instead of helping, people were stepping over her. Not wanting to leave her to pick up the mess alone, Ember walked over to her.

"Let me help you." Ember offered.

"Nope, it's okay, I got it." Paisley says as she quickly tried gathering her things off the floor.

Ember insisted that she help. She picked up Paisley's things and placed them back inside of her binder. Stopping on a small book that had opened once it hit the ground. Ember's eyes quickly scanned over the page and she instantly knew that the little book was Paisley's diary.

Ember's eyes scanned over the first three words but before she could read any further the book shut close. She looked over at Paisley who quickly picked the book up and stuffed it inside of her bag.

"I told you I had it." Paisley snapped.

"Is that your diary?" Ember questioned with a bit of disbelief written over her face.

"No. It's a book that I write my poetry in." Paisley lies.

"Oh, poetry? I would love to hear one." Ember says trying to hide the fact that she read a bit of Paisley's diary. Ember knew that Paisley was testing her just to see if she saw anything.

Ember saw enough.

"Don't do that. Just because you date my brother doesn't mean we have to force being friends, Ember." Paisley said as she brushed past Ember who stood in the hall, confused.

She had hardly ever said two words to Paisley. Ember knew nothing about her and she knew nothing about Ember. There was no need for being hostile. Ember didn't know what her problem was and why all of a sudden Paisley disliked her but she really didn't care to find out. There were a plethora of questions that filled her head as she walked towards the exit. Something wasn't right, or at least that's what Ember thought.

Once she found her mother's car in the parking lot, she climbed inside of the front seat. Sahara looked over at her daughter with a raised brow.

"Hey mom, hey Justin." Ember spoke as she glanced at Justin who was sitting in the backseat.

"Don't hey me, what took you so long to come out of that building?" Sahara asked.

"My class is way on the other side of school and my teacher held us after." Ember says truthfully. Her teacher was one of the ones that would say, "The bell doesn't dismiss you, I do."

Since everyone started packing while she was talking, she became pressed about it and made them stay after to let her finish. Some students that rode the bus was more than pissed because those bus drivers waited for no one.

"Right." Her mother said as she started down the street. "You don't have much time to get your hair done. Homecoming starts at eight, right?"