Chapter Twenty

"No!" Iris screamed. She fell to her knees at the spot where Harry and Cedric were a minute ago shocked.

"This can't be happening." She whispered stunned. She felt the tears stinging her eyes, threatening to over spill. Iris wiped her watery eyes and stood up. She took out her wand angrily and marched out of the maze. Fred and George saw the expression on her face.

"This can't be good." Fred said. He and George got up from their spot in the bleachers and made their way towards her.

Iris marched over towards Professor Moody.

"This is your fault." She said angrily. The moment she said that Lupin, Sirius and several teachers jumped up and began to run over to them.

"I have no idea what you're talking about Miss Evans." Moody said calmly.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." Iris then accioed the small flask that Moody had been walking around with and opened it. She gave him a smug look as he tried to grab it out of her hand. Iris took a sip and nearly threw up from the taste. She threw down the flask and slowly began to morph into Moody herself. A gasp went up from the crowd.

"You've been parading around as Moody for months Barty Crouch jr." The moment she said that name he flinched.

"How did you know?" The fake Moody asked shocked.

"That is none of your business." She sneered.Once the teachers took over Iris still as Moody started to leave.

"Where are you going?" Fred inquired worriedly.

"Away from here. I-I can't be here when Harry gets back." She stammered her lower lip quivering as she tried to hold back the tears.

"What on earth are you talking about? Cedric is with him. I'm sure-" Before Fred could finish the sentence Iris burst into tears.

"Iris, what's the matter?"

She knew it already happened.

"Only one of them is coming back alive. I-I was supposed to stop this. I- I should've been faster. It's all my fault." Iris sobbed. Fred awkwardly wrapped her into a hug. He tried his best to calm her down.

"This is awkward." George said. Iris was laughing and crying at the same time.

"It's polyjuice potion. What do you expect?"

"Not to be the bearer of bad news, but how long does this last for?" Fred asked.

"Well, according to JK Rowling it can last anywhere from ten minutes to twelve hours. I'm hoping it's not the second one. I really did not think this one through." Iris admitted. Fred and George gave her a confused look.

"What?"

"Who's JK Rowling?" George asked.

"Uh, that's none of your business." Iris said quickly. Fred and George both looked at eachother.

"It must be really important." They said at the same time.

"Just forget I said anything." Iris said. The real Professor Moody came into the room and took a step back.

"We're identical." Iris said with a smirk. Fred and George laughed.

"Who are you?" Moody demanded aiming his wand at her.

"She's the girl who saved your life." Fred said, stepping in front of his girlfriend. Iris felt the effects of the potion wearing off.

"Oh, thank Merlin!" Iris said, letting out a sigh of relief. They heard screaming from outside. A sick feeling washed over her. Iris knew what was going on. She found herself dropping. Fred managed to catch her before she hit the floor.

"I can't go out there." She said in a low voice as tears returned to her eyes.

"You don't have to." Fred stated, bringing her in for another hug as she began sobbing again, drenching his shoulder with uncontrollable tears.

"It's all my fault. It's all my fault." She kept saying.

***

The train ride home was a quiet one. Every time Iris would close her eyes she was haunted by the maze and what happened to Cedric. She would jolt awake and start crying again. Fred tried his best to be there for her.

She knew what was going to happen that summer. She knew Harry was going to be staying by the Dursleys and they were terrible people. Voldemort was back and Cedric was murdered for no reason.

When the train pulled into the station Iris was very hesitant to get off. She let out a sigh and stepped onto the platform.

"You might want to stock up on dreamless sleep potion. She's going to need it." Iris heard Fred say to Lupin and Sirius. That summer was going to be spent in Grimmuald place instead of the Burrow.

"Iris." Lupin said breaking her train of thought. She turned to her father's friend. The twinkle that had once been in her hazel eyes was now gone.

"Hi." She said in a low voice. Lupin brought her into a hug.

"I could've saved him." She whispered.

"It's not your fault." Lupin said, trying to keep her calm. After what seemed like a long silence Iris took a deep breath.

"I need to go to Diagon Alley."

"Now?"

"Well, I kind of broke my wand." Iris said slightly embarrassed.

"How'd you manage to do that?"

"I broke it in the maze." She said uneasily.

"Let me get this straight. You confronted a death eater with a broken wand." Lupin did not sound too happy.

"I know it was a stupid thing to do." She admitted.

Two minutes later she was outside Ollivanders, Lupin was with her. Iris let out a sigh and pushed open the door.

"Why hello there Miss Potter." Ollivander said, coming out of the shadows.

"Y-you know who I am."

"Yes, yes. The witch out of time. I've been wondering when you'd realize." He said coming up with a box. Iris took the wand out of the box.

"Nine and three quarter inch, mahogany, unicorn hair, slightly springy. Go ahead, give it a wave."

Iris did as she was told causing some shelves to explode. Iris quickly put it down on the counter.

"Definitely not it." "Hm... I know." He said walking into the back of the store. He came back with another box, took out the wand and handed it to her.

"Cedar wood, nine and three quarter inch, dragon heartstring."

Iris took it and tried to use it.

Crash!

"That's not it either. Hmm...."

The next one he brought out caused another explosion, same with the next and the one after that.

There were about thirty wands out on the counter that she had tried and she was beginning to wonder if he even had the wand for her.

"I wonder...." Ollivander disappeared into the back of the shop. A few minutes later he came back with a mangled old box and set it down on the counter.

"Gee I wonder who that's for."

"Iris." Lupin warned. Iris sighed and opened the old box. She picked up the beautifully crafted wand. Suddenly there was a blinding light throughout the store.

"Wow." Iris said stunned.

"The wand is made out of red oak and it's twelve inches. The core is a griffin claw and griffin feather."

"Wicked."

"Curious, just curious."

Iris remembered reading that's what he had said about Harry's wand.

"What's so special about my wand?" Iris asked out of curiosity.

"That wand has been here for over a century. It belonged to Godric Gryffindor."