chapter three

We land on Naboo early the next morning

We land on Naboo early the next morning. I have just enough time to throw my robes on and put my hair up before Anakin is knocking on my door. Padme is dressed for the day in a dazzling green backless dress, looking beautiful as always.

The little girl in me wishes I knew what it felt like to dress in such extravagant clothes. The life of plain white robes suits me well but deep down, I've always dreamt of wearing something that makes me feel truly beautiful.

Padme's home, House Naberrie, is giant and stunning. The architecture is old, from an era lost long ago, before the war. Inside, giant columns line the marble halls and sunlight pours through every window, illuminating the rooms.

After dinner that night, I excuse myself to one of the balconies that overlook the vast fields that House Naberrie is situated on. The sun dips below the horizon, casting everything in a golden light that reminds me so much of Alderaan. I miss my home planet and the people there, it has been too long since I've visited. I close my eyes, trying to focus on the memories I have from my childhood.

Senator Organa had taken me in as a baby after my parents were sent away on a cargo run for the Senate. They never made it past the fleet of Separatist ships waiting for them. Bail Organa became the only parental figure I had in my life, helping me when I first discovered I was strong with the Force and urging me to join the Jedi Order as a trainee.

I have nothing to remind me of who my parents were other than a log of old missions they completed together. The only clue I have as to what they might've looked like are the markings on my face. Two long vertical rectangles sit beside each other under each of my eyes and above each of my eyebrows. These red birthmarks are the only things that remind me I had parents other than Senator Organa. I don't mind. My childhood was good and besides, how can I miss what I never knew?

Behind me, I sense a restless energy. Anakin. My eyes fly open and I huff, upset that he's disrupted my meditation.

"Yes, Anakin?" I say.

"Am I interrupting you?" He asks. I don't say anything but he still sits on the sun-warmed marble next to me.

"What can I do for you?" I question.

"Do I have to need something in order to talk to you?" He says, "I just didn't want to be alone. This place is huge and I don't like the emptiness."

"And the Senator was busy?" I teased. The usual sense of tension I felt around Anakin has eased and I can feel him relaxing. It pleases me to know that he is becoming comfortable in my presence, however that comment makes him turn away.

"Don't mess around like that," He says. It seems I was right about his little crush.

"So, we're almost ready to be Knighted. Are you looking forward to your Trial?" I ask.

Anakin nods. "It's a lot of pressure. I think I'm ready but Obi-Wan disagrees. I wish he would stop babying me."

"It takes a lot to be ready for the trials. Even I worry that I'm not prepared enough," I confide. "I worry that my skills aren't tuned enough yet."