chapter nineteen

When we get back to Coruscant, I am rushed to the med bay

When we get back to Coruscant, I am rushed to the med bay. Obi-Wan stands by my side as the med-droid talks about my fractured ribs and leg, suggesting different treatments and surgeries that will get me back on my feet, but I can't focus on any of it. I want to know what happened to my sister, if she's still alive after the dreadnought crashes, and whether the other Jedi know anything about her history.

Mace Windu comes through the door, interrupting Obi-Wan and the droid, and Anakin trails angrily behind him, arguing about something that's clearly got him riled up.

"Siorah, you'll go through the invasive procedure," Windu says, crossing his arms in front of my bed, "It'll work faster than letting the bones heal naturally."

"No, she won't," Anakin interjects.

"Skywalker, you have no jurisdiction in this hospital room."

"Well, hold on," I speak up, "With all due respect, Master, neither do you. If I don't consent to a procedure then the droids won't do it."

Obi-Wan ushers the med-droid away before turning to join the group. "Why do you want Siorah to do the procedure?"

"He's just angry that she defied orders to go to Tatooine," Anakin answers.

"Yes, I am!" Windu shouts back, forcing Anakin into silence. "And since Miss Katha is so eager to be on the battlefield I figure that we might as well get her fixed as soon as medically possible."

"You can't make me undergo any surgery without my consent, Master Windu," I retort. "But I will do it. Only if you tell me about Koehkana first."

"We've already discussed this. The Council will give you information after we've met and analyzed her files."

I sit up, ignoring the ache in my side from my injuries. "There is nothing on the file!"

"Siorah, please, don't exert yourself anymore," Obi-Wan whispers.

Windu's voice gets louder until he's shouting. "I am sick of your arguing! You and Skywalker have been on one too many missions together and now you're not only disobeying orders, you're arguing against your superiors, just as he does."

"She has every right to argue," Anakin says angrily, "You can't barge in here and tell her which medical procedure she's going to undergo, withhold information that clearly is linked to her, and then get angry when she doesn't want to comply."

"You two should never have been Knighted. It was too early and you are far too immature," He scolds.

I bristle at his words and Anakin clenches his jaw, both of us so furious that I'm sure Windu can feel it from where he stands.

"Windu, let me handle this. I will speak to the doctors and if the invasive procedure is a safe, viable option, we will consider it," Obi-Wan speaks calmly, "I will report to The Council before the day is over."