chapter twenty-five

I am taken back to the Temple, surrounded by a crowd of Troopers, in custody of the Jedi Order

I am taken back to the Temple, surrounded by a crowd of Troopers, in custody of the Jedi Order. Kit Fisto, an older Jedi Knight, leads that squad that found me, and he offers none of the empathy and warmth that I'm used to from Obi-Wan.

We trudge back in silence and I don't dare try to locate Anakin in the city, no matter how much I want to, out of fear that I will give him away to the Jedi around me.

"Siorah, I don't have time to run around in circles." Mace Windu is in charge of interrogating me in front of the Council, as always. "We need Skywalker's information and we need it now."

"I don't have much, Master. Koehkana used Anakin to break out of her cell and flee the city. I spoke to him," I admit reluctantly, "Only briefly. He's not right, Council. She's gotten into his head."

"We can't afford someone like her controlling Anakin. He's too powerful of a Jedi," Plo-Koon says.

Windu answers grimly. "We're going to have to immobilize that "powerful Jedi" before he can do anything else. Though, I can't say I didn't see this coming."

"I'm sure I don't know what you mean, Master." I frown.

"Anakin has always been a wild card. He never listened to orders well or took particular joy in abiding by rules. That kind of behavior is always a red flag."

"Surely, Windu, you can't mean that," Obi-Wan says. "Anakin has always been a bright and loyal student. I would've liked to make him a general one day."

Windu gives him a doubtful look. "He may have been that way as a child, but the Council has seen that perfection crack with age."

"Master," I say sharply, earning the attention of everyone in the room, "Anakin is one of the bravest Jedi that I have had the honor of knowing. He is fiercely proud of being a part of this Order and yet, all I hear from it are constant complaints.

Anakin has never wanted anything more than to fill the role you placed on him as a child. I admit, he is brash, and impulsive, and runs headfirst into danger like he's invincible, and I know that often gets his team into trouble. But he is also incredibly passionate and dedicated to upholding everything this Council stands for. He may not be perfect, but neither am I, and neither are any of you. We all make mistakes, we all misjudge situations. Anakin went rogue trying to prove to you that he could do something right after years of only hearing that he's done wrong. You beg a hero out of him but punish every heroic moment he can offer. Master Windu, I will not listen to your personal grudges against him while he is out there with our biggest threat. You called me here to make a plan. So make one."

Mace Windu looks at me for a long time. The silence in the room from the rest of the Council, as though everyone were holding their breaths, bores down on me almost as hard as Windu's gaze.

Two months ago I would've flinched at the intensity in his face, dropped to the floor and apologized into the next century for speaking so boldly and out of turn. But my tolerance, my patience, my obedience, is no longer blind.