chapter twenty

For the next week, I am stuck in the med bay recovering from the surgery

For the next week, I am stuck in the med bay recovering from the surgery. Windu was right about how quickly it would work, bones that should've taken months to mend were patched up in about eight hours under the precise tools of a med-droid team, and I just have to let my body recuperate before being released.

I am lonely while I wait. The prophecy that Obi-Wan explained nags me all day, intruding on the few attempts I make at meditation, and adding a significant amount of anxiety to my life.

I can't shake the fear that the Council made a mistake in sending Koehkana away. How could they know, after all? You can't tell what kind of person an infant will grow into from watching them babble, they could turn into anyone.

I mull over the different ways I could break Anakin.

What kind of thing I could do that would result in his destruction. Losing him in the heat of battle? Putting him in danger? Did I destine him for ruin by bringing Koehkana into his life? Even if she was the one to throw the killing blow, I would've been the one to put him in her path.

He had been sent on a search party to locate Koehkana and bring the Council information just a few days earlier.

Anakin is busy as ever being sent around the star systems, running errands, and hunting Separatist troops.

He comes back with success stories and new wounds to back the tales of grandeur, though nothing as striking as the scar on his face, which has healed into a thin, jagged line that he is terribly proud of.

The Council has sent him on a mission to investigate the places that Koehkana has been seen and I wait anxiously for bad news. I secretly hope he doesn't catch up to her out of fear that this time she'll win. She's more powerful than the Council knows and that could be our downfall.

"What's wrong?" I ask one morning as he sits on the end of my bed, finally back from the mission. "You seem uneasy."

There is conflict in his eyes, like he's battling with himself about something. "I found her," He says quietly, looking up at me.

"And you're not hurt? That's a relief. How did you get away?"

"She didn't fight me, Siorah. I wasn't even with the troops, I was alone. She wasn't violent at all."

"Strange," I say slowly, "What's bothering you, Anakin?"

Even if his emotions weren't out in the open for me to read, I can tell from the way he averts his gaze that he is nervous. I want to reach out and touch his hand but there are too many people milling around us, so I sit there, trying to wordlessly show him that he can share whatever it is that is burdening him.

"I talked to her," He says finally, furrowing his brows as though the mere thought of having a civil conversation with her surprises him, "For a long time, actually. She told me about what her life was like as a child. She told me... everything."