chapter twenty-seven

I feel the blaster fire before I hear it

For a fleeting, hopeful moment, I think it's just my mind playing tricks. A placebo my body made up at the sound of my own blaster going off. But the pain in my abdomen says differently.

The next thing I notice is not the blur in my vision or the weakening of my legs, it is the sound of Siorah screaming. I have never heard her like this before. In all the ten years of knowing her, watching her struggle and overcome, face defeat after defeat, alone for so long, I have never heard pain in her like this.

Immediately, I am furious with myself. Furious for being slow and not sensing the finger on the trigger, or the laser bullet in the air. Furious for hurting Siorah like this. And as my legs go from beneath me, I am furious at the damn trooper that shot me.

If I could stand to live just a little longer I would drag myself over to him and shoot him in the abdomen right back. Ask him how he likes it.

I fall to the ground and cold, chilling, emptiness grips me. I realize that this is death. The sensation gripping my body and mind, trapping my breath in my chest, keeping all thoughts out of my head. All thoughts but Siorah and her terrible screaming. Her words ring in my mind.

"Where you go, I go, okay? I won't leave you. I promise."

I am grateful that she is not going where I am going. As my vision darkens and the pain begins to subside into numbness, my body shutting down on me, I am more grateful than I have ever been that Siorah will live. She has always been the braver of us. The stronger, the kinder.

Live, Siorah, I think as I make out her figure crawling towards me. Live.

Just as I slip under, the feeling of her hands on my face, warm and soft, hands I've loved since we were young, offers one final, fleeting moment of joy.

Forgive me. Please, princess, forgive me.