chapter eighteen

When I reach Tatooine, hours after Anakin's initial transmission came in, I fly straight and fast

Turning my scanner on isn't even necessary. There is something intensely potent on this planet, something old but familiar, like I've always felt it around me but have never been able to place it.

I follow the energy deep into the desert, coming up on an abandoned cathedral built before the war, back when Tatooine was more than just a base for criminals and slaves.

I land my UT-60D clumsily and scramble out of the cockpit, engaging my lightsaber and running into the doors of the cathedral. If I follow the energy that Anakin gives off, I should be able to find him even in the maze of rooms and hallways.

He was here recently, the air is heavy with his frustration and tenacity. Though I can't see well, I follow it through the dark, allowing it to lead me through the winding building. My lightsaber provides enough light to avoid the debris that litters the floor, newly fallen judging by the lack of weathering around the stone.

My senses take me to a grand room of worship, it's vast walls towering above me and connecting at a point in the center of the ceiling. This is a holy place.

Behind me, there is movement. Spinning around, I catch a figure dart between the shadows and run towards the middle of the room. A girl, clad in a dense cloak. She stops, staring at me from within the darkness of her hood and I lift my lightsaber defensively, squinting to see her face.

"I didn't think you'd come so soon, sister." She pulls her hood back and I tighten my grip on my weapon.

"Who are you?"

She laughs. "Skies, you're exactly what I pictured you'd look like. Am I what you imagined?"

I stare at her, my mind reeling with questions. "I have no idea who you are. I've never heard of you before today."

A hurt look passes over her face and she looks away. "Of course, you haven't. I've done a good job hiding from you these past few years. From the Jedi Order, you disgusting traitors."

"What are you talking about?" I exclaim, taking a step towards her. "Who are you?"

"I'm the one who's going to tear you down," She growls, clenching her fists. "You all thought you could keep me at bay, locked away and hidden, but I will never be contained again. I'm tired of being taken advantage of by Jedi who think they can play God."

I have no idea what she's talking about. Windu made it sound like the Council had no idea who she was but she says that she's met some. I have too many questions and no one wants to give me any answers.

"Enough," I say, "If you won't tell me I'll just have to take you back to the Council. They're eager to meet you." I sprint across the room, ready to strike, but something crashes into my side, knocking me off my feet and across the floor. It's Anakin, his arms wrapped protectively around me as we skid to a stop.