chapter eleven

A few days go by and no message from the Council comes my way

I am neither summoned nor scolded by any Jedi around and I grow suspicious of the silence.

However, even more concerning than that, something I never thought would happen, I've started missing Anakin's company. I have never, in my life, wished I had an excuse to spend time with him but with most of my days spent in training rooms or the library, I can't help but miss the snide comments he would make or the thrill of running headfirst into danger with him.

Even more than that, I'm worried about what the Council will decide. If he's terminated as a Jedi, cast out, or even killed, I don't know what I'll do.

After a lonely week of meditation and other quiet activities I busy myself with, the crushing boredom finally becomes too much. I get dressed one morning and pull my hair back into a tight ponytail, leaving my Padawan braid out.

I can't wait to cut the thing off.

My chance at completing the Jedi Trials is just around the corner and the thought of finally being knighted makes me so excited that I almost feel guilty for not spending today in a meditation chamber or a combat room.

Once I've finished with my clothes — robes, belt, boots, and all — I set out to try and find Anakin. I know that he'll have something new and exciting to keep me occupied until we are inevitably called to answer for what happened on Jedha.

I find him walking down one of the east halls, any sign of distress is well hidden behind that annoying swagger he's had since we were kids, and I run to catch up to him. He's ditched his usual robes, wearing only a loose tunic tucked into his pants, where his lightsaber swings loosely on his belt.

"Who are you on your way to bother today?" I ask, looking up at him as we walk.

"Bother? Who says I do that? The only person I make a point to bother around here is you," He smiles sarcastically at me.

"Okay, well, if you're not causing trouble, what are you doing? And can I come?"

He looks at me smugly. "You know, it was just a few weeks ago that you couldn't go thirty minutes without telling me how much you hated my guts. This is character development. And sure, you can come if you want. Training is always better with two people."

I stop walking. "Training?!" I exclaim. "You have all this free time and still you're choosing to train? I thought you'd be off catching looters in the city or something."

"I'm sorry, do I look like a joke to you?" He asks, feigning offense, "You don't get as good as I do from catching looters, and trust me, I'm good."

"Still arrogant, I see," I mutter, following him down the corridor to the nearest training room. Still, I can't help but feel relieved in his presence. As much as I hate it, I've missed him.