chapter six

The next few days are blissfully void of any unusual events

Anakin has seemed to have recovered but I am nervous to bring up what happened on Tatooine, lest he blow up again and make more bad decisions. Padme has asked few questions about what happened but I'm almost positive that it's because Anakin has filled her in. He has spent almost every night in her chambers, their conversations floating down the hall to the balcony I've been sitting on, though never loud enough for me to make anything out.

Almost a week after Windu came to speak with us, Anakin has returned to normal and spring is hitting Naboo hard. This has led to Padme trying to find a way to get us, me more specifically, out of the house.

"There's a lovely trail out to the lake, Siorah," She mentions one morning while we wait for breakfast. "It's beautiful this time of year."

"Milady, as beautiful as the field down the road? Or the hilltop just a few miles away?" I tease. "You've tried to persuade me every day this week."

"Oh come on, it's just a lake! And this time it's less than a ten-minute walk. You'll love it!"

"Siorah, you're not coming to the lake?" Anakin's voice sounded from behind me as he entered the dining hall.

"I'm here to work, Anakin," I answer, "Unless there is something in that lake trying to attack Padme, I see no point!"

He sits on the other side of the table, looking at me skeptically. "That's unfortunate. You have to come. We are going with or without you and I would hate for Master Windu to find out Padme left the house without you accompanying her," He sighs.

I roll my eyes. Honestly, the things Anakin will do to see his crush in a swimsuit. "Fine. I will go, but I'm not swimming."

"We'll go later on today," Padme smiles as the staff brings in our food.

A few hours after lunch, we head into the woods to follow a small path down to the lake.

It's unusually warm but I am intent on staying on dry land and being professional. Anakin is skipping down the path, pulling a laughing Padme behind him and for a bit I admire how carefree they are, wishing that it was that easy for me to let loose and enjoy life. But I remind myself why I'm here.

If Anakin is busy having fun with the Senator, it's my job to stay alert in case of danger.

As promised, it was less than ten minutes to the lake which was dazzling in person, just as Padme had described it. Surrounded by lush green forest, clear sparkling water, and huge, flat, sun-soaked rocks that line the beach we stand on.

I take a seat on the hot sand below me as Anakin and Padme rush to the edge of the water, removing their outer clothes and throwing them onto the beach. I shake my head at how foolish they are, running into the water and splashing around like children. I have to laugh along with them.