chapter twenty-six

The hallway opens up into a dark, rocky cavern lit only by a few faint lanterns to the sides of me

The hallway opens up into a dark, rocky cavern lit only by a few faint lanterns to the sides of me. Anakin's presence bounces off these walls, his anxiety is sharp and cold like the stone beneath me.

I scramble across the ground, my feet slipping on the wet rocks, only protected from their jagged edges by the thickness of my boots. My hands, however, are not so lucky. Though I could care less about the pain, my hands begin to sting and burn as I slip and cut the skin on my palms.

If I could see better, I'm sure they'd be covered in blood but for now, I account the wetness to the damp stones I'm grabbing.

I make my way up the mound, my hands slowly becoming numb, and land on a flatter surface. Huge chunks of flat rock lay glistening in the little bit of light provided by the lanterns, separated by small pools of water. Anakin stands across the cavern from me, a swirling rush of water separating us.

"You didn't have to do this," I say weakly, letting my arms fall to my sides.

"Yes I did," He answers.

Blood drips down my fingertips.

"I was making something right." His voice is barely louder than a whisper but I can hear the pain loud and clear. "Siorah, help me. I don't know what to do. They're never going to forgive me for this! I– they'll never forgive me."

"I can't help you!" I answer tearfully, shaking my fists, "You've gone too far. They'll never listen to me! They're coming right now, Anakin." I step towards him, "You have–"

"Stop!" He shouts and I flinch, "Don't take another step closer to me."

"Anakin," I beg, my voice shaking weakly.

"Stay away, Siorah," He spits. There are tears welling in his eyes as he backs away from me.

"Please..." I breathe out, unable to regain control of my voice, "Please, don't..."

I am so frustrated and scared, I can't speak. I can do nothing but listen to the sound of my uneven, panicked breath echo off the walls as my hands, too, suddenly begin to tremble.

Another sound bounces around us, the sound of footsteps running our way and from behind me, the whistle tone of blaster fire rings in my ears.

Anakin reaches a hand in my direction and flings me off my feet, out of the harm's way, as he pulls his saber out. It happens so quickly, I don't realize I'm in the air before I hit the ground. I soar backward, landing heavily on top of the cruel stone and feel a piece slice down my side, searing pain spreading across my waist. My face is badly cut as well, from sliding against the ground, and a few cuts leak blood down my cheek.

Rex's squad does not hesitate firing on Anakin. Their barrage comes from all directions and for a less skilled Jedi, I would be frightened that one of those shots might land its target. But Anakin stands proudly in the middle of the chaos, deflecting fire from every side. From where I am, I can see Obi-Wan, Windu, and Master Yoda approaching.