chapter seventeen

The next day, I wake up early so that I can give my friend a quick tour of the Temple

The next day, I wake up early so that I can give my friend a quick tour of the Temple. Deo is not new to ancient architecture but he appreciates the building nonetheless mainly because of the stories I have about it. Though I love showing him around, I'm anxious to speak with Anakin. Deo assures me that I will have plenty of time for that but I just get the feeling that time is running out. I'm not usually this anxious about things.

"My ship is leaving in an hour and I have some errands to run for my family," He says as we make our full circle back at the entrance.

"So, what do you think? Could you live here someday? We'd be a lot closer." I tempt.

"What, leave Alderaan's rolling hills and vast plains for this pile of tech and noise? I think I'm good where I am." He wraps his arm around my shoulder and gives me a tight squeeze. "I guess this is goodbye for now."

"We'll see each other again, hopefully soon."

He smirks at me. "Right, maybe bring your boyfriend home to meet dear old dad."

"Go board your ship, loser." I shove him off of me playfully.

"Right, right. Bye, Siorah!"

I wave and watch Deo descend the huge, stone staircase, off to meet his ship and prepare for takeoff. Now, I have to find Anakin. It's always hard to guess where he'll be but the Council Chamber is a good place to start considering that he's still in trouble.

I don't even make it halfway there before spotting him turning a corner down the hall. I sprint after him, suddenly reminded that I have no idea what I'm going to say, or what's going to happen after. My heart speeds up the closer I get.

He must sense me behind him, my heart is probably banging against my chest loud enough for him to hear because he stops walking. We stand there like that in the middle of the hall, both equally nervous for the other to begin speaking.

"Anakin," I say and he looks at me. At this moment, I realize how completely overwhelming he is. Everything about him, from the curve of his lips to the slope of his neck and shoulders makes me breathless. What an odd way to feel.

"Siorah," He answers in that deep, slow tone that always used to drive me up the walls, a playful grin tugging the corners of his mouth.

I shake my head in disbelief that we are standing here like this, completely aware of each other's thoughts but toying around the edge of what has to be said.

"Are you always going to say my name and then wait for me to guess what it is you want to say?" He asks me.

"You know what I want to say."

I take one step towards him.

His eyes flash, more green than blue today, and he looks confused for a moment. He takes one step towards me.