chapter sixteen

"Come to gloat, have you?" Anakin says when I come into his med room the next day

"Hm, you've always been the pretentious gloater out of the two of us," I say, "I thought you knew that."

He rolls his eyes and sulks at the wall across the room. "The Council isn't very happy with me."

"They never are." I smile sweetly, coming to stand beside his bed. He's been unhooked from the machinery that was keeping him stable earlier and the color has returned to his face. He always makes an impressively quick recovery, though I can say with pride that I usually avoid having anything to recover from.

"I'm about to be discharged where I will go 'promptly to my room and stay there until my Jedi masters decide what to do with me.'" He imitates Obi-Wan with a pompous accent and I can't help but laugh.

"You deserve it. What did you think was going to happen after you defied their orders?"

"Oh, I don't know, save the day heroically, as I do, and come back met with praise and validation."

"And to think it all could've happened... if you'd actually saved anything," I retort.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. If you didn't come here to gloat then what is it? Something wrong?"

Maybe this is a bad idea. This morning I was ready to tell him everything but now that I'm here, maybe I shouldn't meddle with things that I don't fully understand.

"God your brain never shuts off," He scoffs, "I can practically hear your mind working." He stands and grabs his things. "You should get that checked out, maybe it's a... a mental thing?"

"Anakin, I..." My words are escaping me. What am I even supposed to say?

"Princess, I just got knocked out by an evil serpent creature that we know nothing about. I could die at any moment, you might as well tell me what's going on," He says, grinning. I wish I could share his light-hearted mindset right now.

"I wasn't completely honest about what happened on Alderaan."

"Wait, don't tell me. I really did save the day and I just don't remember, right?"

"No, I–"

He heads for the door, nodding at the med-droid stationed there. "Come on, tell me on the way to my room."

I try not to glare at him. Seriously, has he never taken one thing seriously in his whole life? How can I find the words to tell him about what happened, and how I feel, when he's just cracking jokes and making fun of the whole situation? As I follow him down the hall, back towards my room, I ball my fists, trying to think of the right way to tell him.

"So? Did I save you from the imminent danger you put yourself in by not bringing Rex's squad with you?" He asks, looking down at me.

"No," I scowl, "You did very little. I might even say you did nothing."