chapter fifteen

I wait for Anakin to wake up in the med bay, trying not to think about how many hours have gone by

My limbs are heavy with the dull pain of new bruises and a headache has bloomed in the back of my skull, only adding to the fatigue that is fogging up my brain, but I refused the med-droid that came to inspect me. I can't bear to think of myself right now, it would take too much effort. And I don't want to go back to my chambers to clean myself up, I don't want to look in a mirror, or even see my face.

I can still feel Anakin's hesitant hands trying to find a place to hold on to me tighter while he kissed me. How he grazed my cheeks with his fingers, felt his way behind the strands of hair that had fallen out of my bun, blindly learning the shape of my face as though I were something he'd wanted to know for years.

I cannot help how scared I am. I am unused to feeling needed in that way, to having someone touch me so gently and helplessly. Even more than that, I don't know what to do about the fact that I pulled him closer. My emotions got the best of me and that means that I am not the Jedi I thought I was. I don't want to need anyone. I don't want to need Anakin, but I do.

Beside me, he stirs in his sleep and sighs softly, the meds that kept him asleep finally wearing off. I give him a fond look, running my hands through his hair gently. At least he's okay.

"Miss, this patient will be waking soon. Are you a contact of his?" A droid asks, coming up to the edge of Anakin's bed.

"Yes," I answer quietly.

The droid lowers the dose of his drug to zero and nods. "He will need to stay here overnight. Please make sure he is aware of this." It zooms back out of the room as Anakin begins to twitch, his eyes fluttering open.

"Hey, princess," He says hoarsely, squinting up at me in the white light of the room.

"This is, what, the second time you've passed out on a mission?" I smile. "How are you feeling?"

"A little foggy. And it wasn't a mission, I came to help you. Not that I'll get any thanks for it."

I scrunch up my face. "Help me? If I remember correctly you were out before you even got to the palace. And anyway, you shouldn't do that," I say quietly. "You're going to get in trouble."

"I'm always in trouble," He smirks. A fluttery feeling fills my chest and I fight to ignore it, knowing that he can definitely sense my feelings.

"How did they capture you?"

He furrows his brows. "I can't remember anything."

"Nothing after landing on Alderaan?"

He nods. "I think I heard your voice. You were crying," He looks up at me and I know he's checking my face for injuries. "I thought you were hurt. But there's nothing after that."