chapter nine

I pale as a number of new snake heads explode from the open wound, hissing and spitting at me

I pale as a number of new snake heads explode from the open wound, hissing and spitting at me. Jumping backward, I reflexively slash at the serpent heads that lash out, causing more to spring forward. I curse at myself and leap out of their way, clipping my saber in my belt and flipping over the tangle of bodies. There has to be a way to do this. A trick, or a loophole in the way these things work. I slow down, concentrate my thoughts as I dodge twisting tails and heads.

Bloody Hydra, I think angrily. They were supposed to be extinct. There hasn't been a sighting of one in nearly a hundred years. So what was one doing on such a populated planet?

I search the mass for clues, things that might give me a hint as to what was going on.

We saw one man enter the building, I know that for sure. And these snakes are not attached to one body the way a standard Hydra is, they move freely. And the creature was in the room with us but somehow... somehow it fit in the shadows and was relatively silent. That's impossible.

Even now, just the sound of the snakes sliding around is loud enough for me to hear clearly. I stop, staring wide-eyed at the hostile creature that writhes around in front of me.

Tentatively, I use my lightsaber to knick one of the huge bodies that slide past me. Three new heads pounce at me and I furrow my brows as their image flickers slightly.

I cut off more, spinning through the air as one lunges at me. It quivers in the air for a split second. I'm right, they are glitching. This is a mirage. I leap in the air, headed towards Anakin when one of the serpents wraps around my stomach and my legs fly out in front of me.

"No!" I yell, hand outstretched towards Anakin who stirs slightly. It's too late, I'm tugged backward and held above the ground, kicking and screaming.

"You've done enough," The pseudo-Hydra speaks, bringing one of its heads above the unconscious Jedi, snapping its jaws eagerly, saliva dripping from its fangs.

"Don't touch him!" I scream.

"He's waking up," It coos gently, its green eyes narrowing as Anakin brings a hand to his head and groans. "He'll taste better when he's afraid, like you."

"What'd I miss?" Anakin slurs, trying to push himself up. He freezes at the sound of hissing and looks up at me, shaking his head deliriously.

"Anakin, listen to me very closely. Please, you have to listen," I call, "It's not real. This thing isn't real, it's a projection. Don't trust—"

"Enough!" The Hydra spits. "Your time is up, say goodbye to your friend. You won't see him ever again."

"Siorah, I'm so dizzy."

"I know. I know you are," I cry. We are impossibly stuck.

He blinks and shudders on the ground. "Just hold on. I'll get you, I can help." He pulls his lightsaber from his belt and triggers it, attempting to swing. A collection of serpent heads snarl and rear up, preparing to snap at him.