chapter thirteen

I stride down the hallway, headed to the docking bay so I can get a ship that will take me to Alderaan

I stride down the hallway, headed to the docking bay so I can get a ship that will take me to Alderaan. I've had barely any time to soak in the fact that I'm now an official Jedi Knight of the Republic, or even get used to not having my braid dangle over my shoulder, but I don't bother thinking about trivial things like that. If Bail Organa needs me I will drop everything to help.

Rex comes out of one of the conference rooms, his helmet held against his hip, and falls in stride next to me. "We're assembling a squad to accompany you to Alderaan. They'll be ready for takeoff in fifteen minutes."

"I'm going myself," I say firmly, pulling another hairband off my wrist and putting my hair back up. "I need to assess this situation before I bring our troops in."

"Commander, we cannot let you go into hostile territory alone."

I stop and turn to him, smiling. "It's not hostile territory. It's my home. I will report back as soon as I have a greater understanding of the situation. Trust me, Rex. I know what I'm doing."

"Alright," He says apprehensively, "Just don't run into a fight you can't handle."

I grin. "When have I encountered a fight I couldn't handle? Wait for my report and then assemble your squad. I expect nothing but the best of your men."

Rex salutes and smiles. "Of course, commander."

He takes off down the hall, headed in the opposite direction and I continue to the docking bay.

"Siorah," I hear a deep familiar voice call my name from behind me and my pulse, involuntarily, speeds up.

"Anakin, I really need to go," I answer as he runs up beside me. He grabs my arm, stopping me in my tracks, and pulls me to face him. I tear my arm out of his grasp and glare at him.

"Don't go by yourself," He says seriously, ignoring my cold treatment.

I roll my eyes. "I can handle this. It's just Alderaan."

"We barely made it out last time," He continues. "If it's the same as before, you won't be able to do it on your own. Let me come."

Dropping my voice low, out of fear that someone might I hear, I look at him firmly. "This," I gesture between us, "Has been compromised. I have to do this myself."

He shakes his head, frustrated with me. "I can't let you run into a fight you're not ready for. Don't let my personal feelings affect how you see my abilities." He looks at me earnestly. "I can help you."

"No, Anakin. I will be fine." I soften at the nervousness in his eyes. "I promise."

He sighs. He knows there's no use trying to convince me. No matter if he thinks I'm in danger, I won't listen.

I give him a final look of firm reassurance before turning away. The protective look in his eyes lingers in my mind. I've never had anyone look at me like that, like my safety was the only thing they cared about, and I am unused to the feeling it brings. A certain sense of pride fills me.

That I've affected Anakin enough to make him truly worried about something, for once in his life, makes me feel important. But I don't have any time to spend on the feeling, Alderaan needs my help.

The ship that waits for me is geared up and ready to go within minutes. It's just a small cruiser but it'll get me into hyperspace smoothly without attracting too much attention. I board feeling thrilled at the fact that I don't need anyone to accompany me now that I've been Knighted. This is a real mission that I will face on my own.

A trip to Alderaan only takes a few hours, but we make even better time uninterrupted by Separatist ships and conflict. When we touch down, Bail Organa is waiting for me, an air of unease and stress surrounding him.

"Bail!" I exclaim, running to hug him.

He laughs, holding me tightly and grabbing my shoulders. "Siorah, you've been away for some time now."

I beam up at him. "Did you hear? I've been Knighted. Just this morning I had my ceremony."

"Really?" He exclaims, "I knew you'd make me proud. Come inside, we have much to discuss."

Almost nothing has changed since I was last here. The mountains still stand, looming over our buildings, casting evening shadows over the fields and streets as the sun sets. Plenty of people still roam around, conversing as the last of the light leaves our landscape, packing up markets and calling their children home. This used to be my home.

"We've missed you, Siorah," Bail says, gesturing to the table as we enter the dining room, "I imagine the Council has kept you busy these past months?"

"Oh, of course. Sometimes even I can't believe the missions we go on have really happened. Master Adi has taken me to hundreds of different planets so that I could meet as many different species as possible. There's no time for leisure or relaxation. Everything is a lesson or something meant to add to my experience of the galaxy," I spill, eager to share what my life has been like lately.

He smiles at me fondly. "I'm happy to see you're alright. I know those missions can be quite dangerous."

"They are, but I'm always prepared. I've trained all my life to fight for the Republic."

"I'm glad to hear it. Although I have missed you and the spirit you bring to this place, I called you here for business," He says. "I hear you had contact with whatever it is that we're dealing with. Obi-Wan called it a Hydra?"

"Yes. I saw it on Jedha about a week ago. We're calling it a Hydra but I don't believe it actually is one. It's touchable and will definitely hurt you but the whole thing is some sort of projection. It disappears if you overwhelm it's mechanics enough," I explain.

Bail hums in agreement. "Well, it's good to know that you have experience with it. We're having trouble predicting when it's going to show up next." His face turns dark suddenly. "It was in a home just a few days ago. Killed a few civilians."

"How many?" I ask quietly.

"The parents, both women that I had worked with on a summer program for the kids in this city, two little girls, and a baby boy."

I feel my throat tighten as I think about how frightened I was on Jedha. I can't imagine going through that as a child or a mother.

"I will do everything I can to stop that from happening again," I promise.

"I know you will, princess," He smiles.

I roll my eyes. "You know, ever since Anakin heard you say that at your conference a few years ago, he's not stopped calling me that. He says it in the most patronizing voice you'll ever hear."

Bail laughs loudly, filling the room with the deep, warm sound of his voice that I've missed so much. "I'm glad to hear it. How is he?"

"He's... being Anakin. You know how he is," I chuckle, hoping that my face isn't as red as it feels.

"Well, let's eat and you can tell me all about what kind of trouble he's been getting into. Tomorrow, I'll let you begin your work in the city."

I grin at the hope of going into town. I love this planet. Anything sinister here to ruin it is going to have trouble getting past me.