chapter twenty-two

The Temple is suddenly abuzz with the news that the unbeatable Koehkana has willingly turned herself in

Conspiracies fly from troopers, generals, and Jedi alike, rumors of a bigger plan at work sparks anxiety, especially among the younger students.

While I meet with Obi-Wan almost every day, strategizing and planning for disaster, Anakin spends almost all of his time in the Prison Center. When I question him, though he's never really around anymore, he gives hasty excuses about routine questioning and interrogation, though we both know we have dedicated interrogators for that.

When he disappears out the door to visit her cell again, I can do nothing but watch coldly as the door closes behind him, stifling the anger and disappointment I feel.

Despite his countless hours away and my growing resentment towards both of them, I force myself to focus on my work. Obi-Wan and I grow closer as the days go by and soon he's joking that I should've been his Padawan instead of Anakin.

"He never works this hard," He jokes one day as we rifle through old records of terrorist attacks and crime lords, trying to figure out what might happen while Koehkana is in custody.

I crack the best smile I can. "He's a hard worker when he cares about what he's working on." I might be angry but I can't bring myself to speak poorly of him. He's spent too long with the weight of the world on his shoulders and I refuse to add to it.

"Oh my, it's later than I thought. We can finish this tomorrow, Siorah," He says, looking at the clock on the holoscreen beside us.

"No, we're not doing enough," I answer, entirely too quickly to sound relaxed. "She could be plotting anything. We have to figure it out."

"It will be no good to us if we're too tired to focus tomorrow. Things will make more sense when you're rested," He answers. "I know this is personal for you, and no one faults you for it. But you mustn't waste your strength in the library when you might need it in a battle. The time for justice will come and we will be ready. Rest, Siorah. I will clean this up."

I know better than to argue with him, the most firmly caring person I know, so I give up trying to stay.

In the morning, the fact that it's my birthday briefly passes through my mind. I am twenty years old. I am twenty years old and I am a Jedi. A soldier. I am twenty and I have work to do so I can't spend time wishing for birthday gifts or compliments from my Masters. I sit up, look at my face to see what twenty years look like, and then let it go.

To be honest, it's taken a lot to train myself out of the excitement of my birthday.

I used to beam when my Masters would smile and congratulate me, get excited when my friends dropped small gifts like cupcakes from the bakery in town, or braided bracelets that they worked on in between training lessons, and pride myself on getting older.