t h i r t y - t w o

[ break ]
0:58 ──♡───────── 3:47
↻      ◁ || ▷     ↺

Jeongguk finally broke down in his bedroom, spilling everything out to his two roommates between sobs and sniffles, apologizing over and over again until Seokjin handed him a glass of water to stop him from rambling.

"Hey, slow down." He reminded as the younger gulped down the water. "Catch your breath."

"Sorry." Jeongguk heaved.

Namjoon shook his head, arm hanging loosely around the younger's shoulder. "Stop saying that." He said, "Everything's gonna be okay."

"Will it, though?" Jeongguk turned his attention to his fingers, picking at the skin mindlessly.

Seokjin reached over and pried his hands apart, gentle but firm. "You'll rip your skin off." He chuckled in an attempt to lighten the mood, very much aware of his dongsaeng's nervous habits. "Listen, everything's gonna be okay. Why? Because Joon says so. Whatever comes out of Joonie's mouth is either straight out of a therapy session or from the scriptures."

Namjoon snorted, clearly assumed. "That's not what you said-"

"Moving on." Seokjin gave him a slight shove.

Jeongguk's eyes darted between the pair, recognizing the way their personalities both contradicted and complimented one another. Seokjin- who was loud, straight-to-the-point and comedic. Namjoon- who was mellow, insightful and observant.

"How do you make it work?" Jeongguk blurted.

Seokjin furrowed his eyebrows. "Make what work?"

The youngest dipped his head down, suddenly embarrassed. "You two..."

It took a second of them to catch on. Namjoon laughed. "Ah, Gguk. We don't always work. You just haven't seen us that way."

"It's kind of a parents-don't-argue-in-front-of-their-child unwritten rule, you know?" Seokjin grinned, "I'm not saying we're your parents, but- yeah. We avoid fighting in front of you cause why should we?" He gave Jeongguk's hands a squeeze. "You're worried about you and Taehyung's relationship." It wasn't a question. He knew. Seokjin leaned back, crossing his legs causally as he gestured at Namjoon. "Take it away- enlighten us, good sir."

Namjoon fought back a smile, rolling his eyes. "What am I supposed to say?"

"Something inspiring, sir."

"Stop calling me sir, peasant."

"Ew, no. Peasant doesn't have the same amount of kink-"

Namjoon smacked him this time, eliciting giggles from Jeongguk. "Okay okay I'll talk. Just please shut up." He shook his head, smiling wider now. "I'll make it short and simple, Jeongguk. Not all relationships work. Some people don't understand how emotionally draining it can be sometimes."

From the corner of Jeongguk's eyes, he could see Seokjin nodding solemnly, gaze fixed on the floor. Something told him they've sat down and talked about this before.

"As harsh as it sounds, relationships aren't worth it if it doesn't benefit you. Having a crush is one thing. Dedicating the rest of your life to that person is another." Namjoon shrugged, "You have a really unique situation here, Gguk. But if he makes you happy, maybe it's worth the risk. Your choice."

The doorbell rang, startling the trio. Jeongguk's body tensed next to Namjoon, remembering Taehyung's warning- For the next few hours, don't answer the door.

Then a voice came piercing through the air. "It's Jimin!"

"It's J-Jimin?" Jeongguk spluttered, relief pouring onto his chest.

"I'll go open the door." Namjoon declared, leaving the room.

Seokjin grasped onto Jeongguk's hands again and looked into his eyes. "My brave boy." He whispered, "You'll be okay?"

Jeongguk nodded. "Thank you, hyung."

When Jimin entered the room, he didn't expect Jeongguk's body to collide with his, arms crushing him in a hug. "Hmph-"

"You're okay." Jeongguk found himself welling up. There was a bruise developing above the older's cheekbone, but other than that he seemed pretty intact.

"I'm okay, Gguk-ah." Jimin confirmed. But there was something stiff in his movements, like he knew something Jeongguk didn't.

"Is Tae okay?" Jeongguk asked anxiously, the thought of his lover invading his mind.

He looked up and spotted the said boy standing by his own doorway.

Jimin gently forced Jeongguk off him. He glanced between the pair, swallowed hard despite a dry throat and gestured for Seokjin to leave. The oldest complied and Jimin followed him out, but not before locking eyes with Taehyung. That brief moment of I'm with you.

Jeongguk was crying again. Fuck, he hated himself for being so sensitive. But seeing Taehyung in front of him felt like a fever dream all over again. It was like he'd never get used to the fact that he's real.

"Taehyung." The name rolled pleasantly off his tongue as he tried wiping his face with his palms. He edged towards him. "He didn't hurt you, did he?"

Those words again. From outside the tattoo shop.

Taehyung didn't dare move a muscle as Jeongguk touched his ghostly pale face with his dandy little fingers. He desperately blinked back his tears, clearing his vision to see the beautiful boy in front of him. His hands wouldn't stop shaking has he reached up and held the younger's wrist back down.

"Jeongguk. I- I need to talk to you about something."

That was the last straw for Jimin. Knowing he wouldn't survive watching his two childhood friends break each other's hearts, he stormed down the stairs, barely acknowledging Seokjin or Namjoon before he was out the front door.

He had things to take care of.

Please vote before continuing on to the next chapter >>>

I swear on my heart it's a happy ending you just have to bear the angst with me
Ily
- hay