f o r t y - t w o

[ hurricane ]
0:58 ──♡───────── 3:47
↻      ◁ || ▷     ↺

At this early hour the airport is as serene as it ever is. The people move with ease, quiet rivers of humanity freshly roused from their slumber accompanied with soft jazz music. The atmosphere was a direct contrast to the frantic beating of Jeongguk's heart, feet pattering against the floor.

He didn't hesitate to frighten the shit out of everyone by yelling at the top of his lungs. "Taehyung!"

Now heads were turned his way and whispers became more prominent. Among the sea of irritated faces, there were old and young, all who whined with an equal premise of complaints. Jeongguk hated attention, but that was the last thing on his mind right now.

Right now every fiber of his being was concentrated on one task: seeking those pretty eyes of a certain someone that can fill the void in his chest.

"Tae!"

He stood at the eye of a hurricane, watching the world whip around him like blades of air, trying to find and clutch onto a single strand of his Taehyungie. And hold on forever.

"Taehyung you prick!" That was Jimin. "Where are you?" He pulled at Jeongguk's (actually Taehyung's) hoodie, gesturing towards the other direction. "Terminal gates. Move it."

Jeongguk glanced at the large screen that often displayed the departure times but he knew it was no use- He didn't know the details of Taehyung's flight. He heard suitcases being dropped onto conveyer belts and the warm welcomes of the check-in assistants and he prayed that Taehyung hadn't walked through the gates yet.

That was when he spotted a blurry blob of dark hair and a familiarly built figure handing over his boarding pass for security to check.

"Taehyung!" Jeongguk screamed without a moment of thought, feet scrambling towards the gate.

But no. He bowed his head towards the security guard and walked smoothly along the line.

"Tae!"

And he disappeared behind glass walls.

Jeongguk's breath hitched in his throat, the chasm in his chest expanding until he was nothing more than a shell of what he was.

He lost him. Just like that. Again.

Jimin was quick to grab onto the younger when he staggered back, eyes permanently fixed on the gate, like he could somehow hold it all together for Jeongguk, who was breaking apart by the second.

"Gguk."

Nausea swirled unrestrained in Jeongguk's empty stomach, that strand of hope he wanted so desperately to hold on to was snatched away in the wind.

The cruelty of life was that a heart can still beat if it were to be torn in two. And every beat feels like you're being strangled in the hands of an ice-cold vice and there's nothing you can do about it but endure.

Jeongguk's had been torn the first night Taehyung abandoned him under the shadows of a lonely sidewalk. It stitched itself back together over time with 'pretty thoughts'- though gluing roses onto your wounds doesn't mean they're healed.

Now? Jeongguk must've hit his rock bottom. Because those roses grew thorns of false hope and yearning. They planted themselves there and dug deep into his heart, taking its time to shred it to fucking pieces.

"Jeongguk, I'm sorry." Jimin whispered.

But his words were static to his ears.

"Maybe he'll come back when his brother doesn't show up."

When the first tear rolled down Jeongguk's face, it broke a dam. And suddenly he buried himself into his best friend's arms, the one place he knew he could always find security in, and cried.

"We'll find him." Jimin kept saying, hand coming up to pat his head, "Or he'll find us. Everything will be okay."

Those words couldn't properly register in Jeongguk's brain. In fact, Jeongguk couldn't hear anything but the sudden deep, velvety voice that sounded from behind him.

"Jeongguk?"

Please vote before continuing on to the next chapter >>>

Here's another chapter because I love y'all a little too much and want to spoil you after being gone for a lil while (which is just 3 days but oh well)

Follow me if you haven't! There's gonna be more taekook after this book
<3