Chapter Sixteen

"Can I ask you a question?"

"No."

Luna rolls her eyes and smiles. "Lemme rephrase, I'm going to ask you a question." She states. I laugh and nod for her to continue.

We made it through this long ass week and are now back to Friday night. Luna and I are the only ones home. Chris is stuck on a date with Cami and Wyatt is out with Taylor. Violet was supposed to come over but she ditched us for Blake.

"Why do you hate Chris?" She questions. I sigh and shovel another bite of ice cream into my mouth.

"I don't...hate him. I just can't stand him and he irritates me beyond belief." I say casually. She shoots me a look.

"You guys were fine when we were kids. Hell, I'm almost certain you two hung out more than he and Wyatt." She says laughing. I scoff.

"That's not true. He and Wyatt were inseparable...but Wyatt also did soccer back then while Chris didn't do sports. We only hung out when Wy was at practice." I point out. She waves me off.

"Yeah whatever. But that all changed overnight. What happened?"

I snort. "You don't remember?" She shakes her head. "Fifth grade. Wyatt was sick that day and you must've been elsewhere because you would've remembered if you were in the cafeteria that day."

Flashback- Fifth Grade

"Hey Chris." I mumble shyly. He looks up and grins.

"Hi. Where's Wyatt?" He asks, looking around. I frown. I don't care about Wy. I wanted to tell him something.

"He's sick but I have something to tell you." I say nervously. He goes back to eating making me upset. Why isn't he paying attention? This is important.

I sit down and cross my arms, giving him a glare. "I'm talking to you." I tell him. He just shrugs. Why is he being rude?

"I like you." I blurt out quickly. My face heats up and I look down, hoping my hair hides it. Oops.

Chris chokes on the spaghetti Mrs. Beckham made for dinner last night. He stares at me with wide eyes before laughing. What's so funny?

I stand up and glare at him. He smiles up at me. "That was funny, Anna." I roll my eyes at the dumb boy. This is not funny.

"I'm not kidding. I really really like you." I state. He stands up and rolls his eyes at me.

"Well I don't like you back. I'm only nice to you because you're Wyatt's sister but you're a pathetic loser who just follows us around. Why would I ever like you? Luna is better." He says harshly before grabbing my strawberry milkshake and dumping it on my head.

I gasp and tears threaten to fall as the whole lunch room starts laughing at me. Something flashes in his eyes but it's replaced by a smug smile.

"Bye Annabelle."

Present

"I don't remember that." My sister says slowly. I shrug and finish my ice cream. She then frowns. "Wait, but that was back in elementary school. We're seniors in high school now, Annie. Are you really going to hold that grudge forever?" She asks. I scoff.