Chapter Twenty

I wake up and blink at the sunlight filtering in. God damn it. I don't remember this much sunli- Oh. Fuck. I'm not home, am I? We ended up at Chris's house last night after- Dad. Fuck. He's back.

I sit up and look around Christopher's room. A pounding headache welcomes me, making me groan in pain. God fucking damn it. Hangovers fucking suck.

I stand up and walk downstairs. Oh my god, what the hell smells so good? I find a shirtless Chris in the kitchen, cooking. Holy sweet mother of French toast.

"Are you drooling over the food or my body?" He teases when he notices my presence. Um...both. I scoff at him and take a seat at the table.

"Don't flatter yourself. The food. Can you please turn the lights off though? My head is pounding." I mumble. He slides over a plate of french toast and a cup of orange juice. I blink. Yummy.

I take the two advils he put on the side and dig into the deliciousness that is breakfast. "I can't turn the lights off because it's the sun. Are- um how are you doing?" He asks slowly. Hm? What'd he ask? This food has all my attention.

"You can talk to me when I finish eating." I say sternly. He chuckles and takes a seat beside me to eat his own food. The only sound in the room is our forks against the plate. I finish my french toast and bacon and look at him.

He stops before his next bite reaches his mouth. "What?" He asks confused. I force a small smile.

"Your plans last night. They- you didn't go. I'm sorry for ruining your night." I mumble. He sighs and pushes his food away, facing me fully.

"You didn't ruin it,  Annie. Your bastard sperm donor did." I laugh at his word choice. This is...weird. I'm not used to being civil with him. No, fuck civil. I'm not used to enjoying his presence. For years I've just wanted an apology for him.

I mean, in fifth grade an apology is all it would've taken. Now, we're seniors in high school and I honestly do feel stupid for holding that grudge. All these years, I could've been friends with him. Instead, I was a total bitch holding a grudge from our childhood.

"Speaking of, talk to me. How are you doing? I know Wyatt would-"

"Oh shit! I never told them. And I forgot to text my mom!" I quickly pull out my phone and open my messages.

Me- You're not home, right???

Mom💖- No. I stayed at Roland's last night I was just about to go home. Why? Is everything okay sweetie?

Me- No. Don't go home, okay? Idk if that's a good idea just yet. Come to the Beckham's. I'll explain then.

I close those messsges and open my groupchat with my siblings.

Me- Don't go home. Come to Chris's house. Mom is meeting us here.

Luna-Bear🐻- Will you finally explain?

Me- Yes!!!

Wyatt🦆- Promise? Bc I'm getting tired of fucking secrets. I had to sleep on Blake's couch last night. It's uncomfortable!

Luna-Bear🐻- You're such a cry baby🙄🙄

Me- Both of you stfu. I promise I'll explain.

I shut my phone off and sigh. Chris rubs my back while I basically stare into space. Why is that so relaxing? A little while later, there's a knock on the door which is followed by footsteps inside. I don't know why they knocked. We all have keys.