7

I don't know how long I stayed in my room. My stomach ached a lot a while ago. The pain has been slowly fading, but like I said, slowly. My face was filled with red marks from the slaps that I've received.

After I bathed, I faced myself in front of the mirror and embraced the marks around my body. Yes, I was naked while facing the mirror. I turned around and stared at the scar above my waist. I had this when I fell down on a nearby cliff. As awful as it already sounded, I almost drowned after I fell off and fell deep into the lake. Yeah, a 5 year old little girl was almost dead.

I could still remember how I prayed at that time. I was like, "Lord, I'm just a little girl. I'm not an immortal. I know you're not done with me and my purpose here, so I pray that I'll still live." I prayed although I was struggling to swim. I prayed although my back hit a rock already.

I was sent to the hospital 3 hours after I got out of the lake. Yes, 3 hours...because Adiline didn't tell our parents that she pushed me off the cliff. Adiline and Adelee didn't bother to check out for me, and my brothers had their private studies that morning. The only ones who went to the hospital were Mama Tri, and my brothers. They came a day before I was discharged. Still, I loved them. I could never unlove them because they are my family.

Back to the present, my eyes moved next to the other scar on the back of my shoulders. Some bullies in school burnt a 5 peso coin into my skin. I could still remember the pain. The touch of fire on my skin was painful that you just want to kill yourself faster than to suffer from it. I came home with bruises and mama Tri had to isolate me in the manor so the bullies wouldn't hurt me. She sent guards so no one would harm me at school, although those guards were janitors and farmers near the school.

Anyway, I only have 2 scars so it's not that bad. What's bad are these bruises that kept appearing. First it appeared on my back, next was on my fingers, and now, on my arm. I wanted to apply a cream so it would lessen its weird bluish color but I decided to leave it alone. This will pass, I know.

I was just about to sleep when someone knocked on my door. "Hey, it's Maki. You're requested in the living room." I sighed and tried to cheer myself to I had courage to go out. What if my mother will hit me again? What if I can't take it anymore?

God, why is she doing this to me? Is this still right by You?

"Your brother wants to talk to you," my mother addressed me. I nodded my head before I hastily walked towards her. I flinched as my reflex when her hand touched mine. She looked at me but I averted my eyes.

"Hello?" I spoke through the phone. "It's me, Axdrell,"

"Kuya Axdrell. Kuya..." I didn't know that I'd cry. My voice unexpectedly broke when he asked about my condition. So he knew. "Kuya..." that was all I can say.

"How are you doing there?"

"I'm alright, I hope," I don't know how to form my words. My mouth wanted to spit tough words yet my heart aches, preventing those words to come out.

"It's okay, I'm almost done with my work. I'll be there, okay? Just hang on for a while, Adesina,"

"15 years...isn't that enough?" I questioned him. "Hang on? How long should I still hang in to your words, kuya Axdrell?" I didn't mean to say that out loud so my mother would be hit by my words, but the words came out sounding like that. She can totally relate to it.

"You know I had to. I'm focused on my studies. Don't worry. I'll be there in a week. After 15 years, I can be with my little sister. I'll stay for as long as you like," his voice was calm but I sensed pain. I am aware that my mother is listening to the conversation, and although she can only hear my voice, my mother is sharp. She's giving me the you-should-watch-your-mouth look.