Chapter 2 - Surprises were not very uncommon at Hogwarts

Erin's timetable looked very promising. She had started her N.E.W.T years, meaning that she could choose her own subjects. She had chosen only five as she wanted to focus on quidditch. She had Charms on Monday, Herbology and Defense Against the Dark Arts on Tuesday, Transfiguration on Thursday and Arithmancy on Fridays. She did splurge on apparition lessons on Saturday morning as it was something she had always wanted to be able to do.

The first quidditch practice of the week would be on Wednesday. Then they'd discuss what other days they'd come together and how and when the new captain would be chosen. It was all Erin could think about until Wednesday night.

Luckily, the week passed by rather quickly and twenty minutes before the actual practice would start, Erin was already on her way to the quidditch pitch, robes on neatly, hair in a tight bun and broom freshly polished. She was put together and proud of it. She had dragged along Beatrice as well, hair still wet from her shower, forgot her gloves and in a terrible mood for being so early when it was raining slightly outside.

The Gryffindor team had just finished their practice and were leaving the team. Erin couldn't help but glance at Oliver, just because she wanted to know if he'd acknowledge her or not.

"Evans", he said with a simple nod as he passed, which was more than she expected.

"Did that ass just speak to you?" Beatrice spat when their team was out of hearing range.

"I suppose", Erin mumbled. She felt herself getting distracted, which was something she could not use right now. She needed to be in the best shape possible.

"Good afternoon ladies", madame Hooch chimed as the girls walked on the pitch. The rain was starting to clear up, but the field was already muddy.

"Good afternoon to you too madame", Erin said and she could feel Beatrice rolling her eyes. Erin sometimes wondered why her best friend was sorted into Hufflepuff, as she seemed a pure Slytherin at first glance, but when it came down to it, she had a heart of gold and would do anything to help out the ones she loved.

Other team members joined them on the field and Erin tried to figure out who she'd be competing with. Cedric was definitely going to try out for captain and he'd be difficult to beat, even though he was a year younger than Erin. Beaters Michael and Anthony might be interested too. They used the couple of minutes waiting to catch up with the rest of the team. Some were in Erin's year, so she had seen them in class, but the Hufflepuff team was a rather diverse yet tight group, like her second family.

"Tryouts are next week. You reckon we're going to get new members?" Cedric asked Erin, scanning the rest of the group. Their team was pretty full, but everyone who wanted to try out had a fair shot. Even though Erin liked Herbert, they could definitely use a better Keeper. Unfortunately Hufflepuff didn't have anyone who came even close to the skill level of Keepers on the other teams.

"I hope so, that's always fun. Not sure who's deciding though, normally the captain does", Erin responded.

"You're trying out for captain?" Erin nodded. She knew Cedric was interested in the position too, so it was best to just be open and honest about it.

"Well then I wish you the best of luck."

Madame Hooch called all of them together and got straight to the point.

"Hufflepuffs, I am here because Madame Sprout has asked me to select a new team captain. As you all know, that decision is very important and I'd like to see all of you play a couple of times before I make my decision. Who of you is interested in becoming team captain?"

Erin confidently put her hand up and tried not to look at the others too obviously. Three other hands were raised, Cedric's, Michael's and Tamsin's. The first two were worthy competitors, but Erin wasn't quite sure if Tamsin could fit the role, although she could surprise sometimes.

"Good, then I propose we play two games at the end of September. Michael against Tamsin and Cedric against Erin. You'll each lead your part of the team and I'll make a decision then. Until that moment, I'll be in charge of your practices, Wednesday at 4 PM, Friday at 4 PM and Sunday at 10 AM, is that clear? Tryouts will be next practice, so I expect everyone to be present. You being on the team last year doesn't mean you have a spot this year. Understood?" Erin nodded and gripped her broom. It was finally time to play quidditch again and she was here to impress. Not only would she make the team again, she'd be leading it.

The Gryffindor quidditch captain was far past the team composition stage. His team was solid and didn't really need any new players. He could use a couple reserves to train for next year, though, so he put up the sign-up sheet in the common room and hoped for some promising fresh meat. This was his last year at Hogwarts and his last chance to win the Quidditch Cup. It was all he wanted this year, to win that cup. Gryffindor hadn't won in seven years and he so badly wanted to be the one to change that.

"Who do you reckon will be the new Hufflepuff captain?" Katie asked as he joined them in the common room.

"Bet it's pretty boy Diggory", George said, followed by Fred: "He always gets his way."

Cedric would indeed not be a bad team captain and the logical choice, Oliver thought, but this Erin girl seemed really determined too. A Hufflepuff who snuck out of her common room to go to the quidditch pitch on her own, that was something that sparked his interest. People always made fun of how dedicated he was to quidditch and it was nice for him to not feel alone for once.

"Doesn't matter who it is. They don't stand a chance against us", Angelina said, earning a couple of cheers. The Gryffindor team was probably the tightest out of all of them, but they could get a little overconfident sometimes.

"I wouldn't be too sure about that", Oliver said. "They've got some great Chasers."

"And we have a great Keeper to keep them from scoring. They can't say the same", Katie said. The Hufflepuff Keeper was indeed not the best out of the lot, Oliver thought, but tryouts were this week and surprises were not very uncommon at Hogwarts.

"What matters the most is that Harry catches the snitch first and he does every time, don't you Harry?" Fred chimed as Harry came down the stairs as well, followed by his friend Ron.

Oliver noticed a boy running up to the sign-up sheet and eagerly signing up his name. He seemed a little young to make the team, but his enthusiasm was a good start. He quickly smiled as he noticed Oliver's gaze and then disappeared to the dormitories again.

"Who was that?" Angelina asked, noticing the boy too.

"Benjamin Evans, he's in our year", Harry said.

"Evans? Related to Erin Evans?" Oliver asked.

"Yeah, I think she's his sister." That sounded like music to Oliver's ears. Although he would never admit it about someone from an opposite team, Erin was a terrific Chaser and a good team player. If some of that had passed on to this Benjamin as well, he could be a good reserve.