Chapter 29 - You're still my favourite purrson

Erin hadn't expected to be so nervous about their little meeting with her secret admirer. It didn't feel right to confront this guy with Oliver, whilst he was just trying to reach out to her. She knew how difficult it was to gather the courage to confront a crush, so meeting him with Oliver seemed so wrong. On the other hand, going alone seemed worse, as she didn't want to give off the wrong idea. Erin just wished she didn't have to go at all.

"Oliver, I don't think this is a good idea", Erin said as they were spending their last hour before lunch in the Courtyard. Oliver sat on a bench, attempting to braid Erin's hair, who was sitting on the ground before him.

"Why's that?"

"He's just trying to reach out. I think that's brave. Confronting him like that just seems unnecessary."

"But he knows you're taken."

"We've been dating for three days, captain. I don't think many people know." Oliver just shrugged.

"Do you want to go alone then?" he asked.

"No, I just don't want to go at all", Erin sighed.

"Isn't standing him up just as bad as confronting him?" Erin sighed, he had a point. If only she had the slightest idea who it could be. It wasn't Anthony, she had asked him about it, and it definitely wasn't Oliver, so who could possibly have a crush on her?

"I ... I think I should go alone. Just turn him down gently, you know?" Erin said carefully. She knew Oliver would not like that proposition, but it seemed like the best idea.

"Sure", Oliver said, clearly trying to conceal how annoyed he was.

"Come on, Oliver. A brutal turn-down is just not a good idea. It happened to me last year, remember? I can assure you it wasn't fun", she said. Erin knew exactly what it felt like to be turned down harshly. It had broken her. Oliver sighed, knowing she was right.

"But I'm waiting in the hallway, okay?" he said, wrapping a strand of her hair around his fingers.

"Wouldn't want it any other way." Erin smiled and turned around, pulling him closer by his collar. She slowly pressed her lips on his, causing him to smile. He pulled her up, onto his lap.

"We're in the middle of the Courtyard, behave yourself", Erin chuckled, her eyes twinkling.

"Well then don't make it so difficult for me by being so pretty", Oliver winked, causing Erin to blush.

"You compliment me too much", she smiled, but she loved it.

"Well I have to make sure you don't run off with you new secret admirer right? I have competition now." Even though Oliver made it sound like a joke, Erin knew that deep down, it bothered him a bit. He always seemed confident, but he wasn't. She just wanted him to know that he had absolutely nothing to worry about.

"I don't think you do", she whispered. "I don't think there's anyone in this school who gives me the same butterflies you do." Erin traced his jawline with her finger, looking into his brown eyes.

"Never thought I'd turn into such a sappy person", Oliver chuckled.

"How do you even pronounce it like that?" Erin laughed. "Purrson", she tried mimicking his Scottish accent.

"Wow, you're butchering that", he said. "It's an insult to all Scots."

"Well, you're still my favourite purrson", she grinned. Oliver rolled his eyes, but found it incredibly endearing. She was his favourite person too.

"I do kind of enjoy jealous Oliver. Didn't think you were the possessive type", Erin smirked.

"I am not jealous", Oliver stated.