Chapter 3 - You seem to be everywhere lately

The week had passed by in a blur and Erin had filled yet another notebook of possible tactics. The loads of free time had given her many opportunities, such as sneaking to the practice of the Slytherin team, overhearing the new additions to the Ravenclaw team and rereading Quidditch Through the Ages. She had been in quite a good mood the last few days, as tryouts went really well.

Nine new people showed up, which was a good amount for the few places that needed to be filled. Two of them went for Keeper, one of them being a first-year, but luckily the second one seemed to know what he was doing. He was a year younger than Erin and had tried out before, but had improved greatly in the past year. Erin had to defend her own position too though, so that was her main focus. By now she knew how to play at try-outs. She needed to show off her speed, aim and teamwork. Madame Hooch especially preferred a good pass over a mediocre shot at the goal.

"What do you think of this year's new batch?" she had asked Erin afterwards, which she perceived as a good sign. Wanting to know her opinion meant that she was on the team, right?

"Beckett, the one who's going for Keeper has made great improvements since his last try-out. The second-year girl who's going for Chaser seems promising too, but she needs a little more practice. Maybe she'd be a good reserve", she had said. It was what she would do if she were captain.

Erin's mood only got better when Saturday morning arrived, as she'd be getting her first apparition lesson. Everyone who'd turn seventeen this year could join for 12 galleons and since Erin's birthday was in May, she had signed up immediately. Beatrice was in a less joyful mood as her birthday was in November. She'd have to wait until her seventh year to join.

Although her best friend was not by her side during those lessons, Erin was super excited. She walked to the Great Hall, where the classes would take place, with Anthony Rickett, who was also on the Hufflepuff quidditch team. He had only joined last year as a beater and Erin didn't know him very well yet, but this was a great way to change that.

The Great Hall was pretty packed with red and yellow colours. Slytherin and Ravenclaw had a separate class, which was often the combination of classes at Hogwarts. Slytherins didn't really get along with Gryffindor and most Hufflepuffs felt uncomfortable around them too. Erin didn't mind Slytherin, as she had a couple friends from that house, but there were some rotten apples that kept up the "bad guy" image.

"You seem to be everywhere lately." Erin heard. She turned around to be faced by the one and only Oliver Wood. He really was more present this year than she had hoped for. Apparently he had a late birthday too, as he was a seventh-year.

"Oh, how come?" she asked.

"On the pitch, then I met your little brother and now here."

"You met Benji?" Erin was a little worried that Oliver knowing that Benji was her brother could affect the outcome of his tryouts. Oliver had been nice to Erin on the pitch their first day back, but she knew that he didn't do that because he liked her. Oliver liked no one from another quidditch team. It surprised Erin at how naive she'd been last year.

"Yeah, he's trying out for the team. Is he any good?" Oliver asked, again seeming surprisingly nice.

"He's a great flyer, super fast. Hasn't had as much practice as some others, but I think he could be really good", Erin said. If she could help her brother in any way, this was the way to do it.

"Well, we'll see at tryouts. When are they choosing the new captain for your team?"

"At the end of the month.

Suddenly, a balding minister worker stood in front of them with a clipboard.

"Names?" he said, looking through a pair of thick glasses.