𝐬𝐢𝐱

6:30am

it's been a week since i told payton i liked him. we've barely even talked. i don't know why, we both like each other. now we don't talk? it doesn't make sense. im laying in bed just going through everything i said in my head. im retracing my steps and i don't think there's anything that would cause us to be so awkward around each other. i walk downstairs to the kitchen and see payton. he looks at me and then looks away, closing the fridge. i lean onto the counter, about to just explode.

"payton what is your problem? i told you i liked you, you said you liked me too and now im not so sure because you don't even talk to me. you barely even look at me. i don't understand what im doing wrong." he walks over to me.

"are you gonna say something? anything? can you please just talk to me? or do whatever it is that you want to do. if you don't like me just tell me i can take it, just tell me what i'm doing and wrong i'll try to fix-" payton suddenly grabs my face and kisses me, interrupting what i was saying. i feel like electricity run through me and im in utter shock as he pulls away.

"that's why i haven't talked to you. that's the only thing that's been on my mind the past week. and i knew that if i talked to you i wouldn't be able to hold back." he says.

"wait, so you aren't mad at me?" i ask him.

"no tess, of course not." he smiles and me and i hug him.

"well thank god cause i was really scared that you hated me and that would've been a mess and im just really glad you're not upset." i blurt out really quickly. while we have our moment, the girls come through the door.

"did you kiss her yet?" riley whisper yells.

"yes he did riley." i laugh. we all walk out of the door and go to school.

at school

oh yeah i forgot to mention, jackson has been texting me, calling me, showing up to my house, talking to me during school, just straight up begging me to get back together with him. payton and i just started talking again obviously so he doesn't know about any of it. jackson only ever shows up super early in the morning, and if it's not in the morning, it's always night time and he comes to the front door. i've been trying to ignore it but it's difficult when he's all up in my face every single day.

"hey, tess can we talk?" jackson walks up beside me. i stop and just tilt my head back, covering my face.

"ok jackson, fine, what do you want?" i've about had it with this kid.

"can i come over tonight? i just need company." he tells me.

"why?" it seems kinda sus to me.

"my mom has cancer." he lets out.

"oh.."

"yeah.. you're the only person i could tell." he says.

"jackson, we're not together anymore. i know you can trust me and everything but we arent a thing anymore. i can't just be there for you all the time like i was. im sorry your mom has cancer, that's horrible and i hope she gets better, but you can't depend on me to pull you out of tough situations anymore. i know that's harsh and im sorry but you need to move on." i tell him.

"please just think about it, i really don't wanna be alone at home." he sighs.

"ok, fine. but just know that we're not doing anything. we can sit and talk but thats it. we're strictly friends." i give in.

"ok thank you tess." he walks away. why did i give in so easily? i should've told him no. i should've walked away but what else was i supposed to do? his mom has cancer and i can't do anything about it and i know he doesn't deserve my help but i feel bad. i shouldn't but i do.