𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

2 weeks later

i wake up and see payton laying beside me. i smile.

"hey sleepy head." he smiles at me and kisses me.

"goodmorningggg." i say all giddy sounding.

"i want ice cream." i sigh.

"i'll go get you some, you stay here." he tells me.

"no no don't do that." i tell him, feeling bad.

"just go back to sleep and i'll bring you some ice cream. okay?" he says.

"oh alright," i give in, " i love you."

"i love you too." he says and blows a kiss to me. i pretend to catch it and i laugh.

"stay safe!" i yell to him as he goes down the stairs.

"i will!" he yells back and i hear the front door close. i fall asleep like 2 minutes later.

payton's pov

i sit at the stoplight and watch the red light until it turns green. i go and all of a sudden, i can't move.

tess's pov

i wake up and it's been around 30 minutes. i call payton and he doesn't answer. hmm, weird. maybe he's trying to surprise me and get me something. i get up and take a shower. when i get out i see that payton still hasn't said anything. i put my phone down and change into my clothes. i hear my phone ring and look and see that it's payton. i pick it up.

"hi is this tess?" i hear an unfamiliar voice ask.

"yes." i say.

"do you know a payton moormeier?" she asks me.

"yeah..he's my fiancé....?" im starting to get confused.

"well my name is sarah and i work at montgomery medical hospital, your fiancé has been in an accident. you were on his emergency contact list." my heart stops. what is happening. this can't be real. i hang up the phone and rush to the hospital. i find where payton is and the doctor i talked to on the phone pulls me out of the room.

"payton is going to need major surgery." she explains everything to me and i want to curl up into a ball and cry.

"we're going to need to take him to an OR immediately." she tells me. i stand here frozen and watch as they take him to surgery. he's unconscious. he looks so hurt. this is my fault. i shouldn't have told him i wanted ice cream i should've just kept my mouth shut i should've just stayed asleep. i sit here beating myself up for hours when someone comes into the waiting room. the woman approaches me.

"payton just got out of surgery and there were some complications," she babbles on and i dont pay attention much, "theres a chance he wont wake up." i hear that so clearly. i cant move. he has to wake up. i run to his room and sit there beside him. he's unconscious and i sit here bawling my eyes out. i eventually lay in the hospital bed with him.

"you are my sunshine my only sunshine. you make me happy, when skies are gray. you'll never know dear, how much i love you. please don't take my sunshine away." i start bawling even more as i sing softly.

"i love you. please wake up. please payton wake up." i fall apart and just try to comfort myself by cuddling into him but i can't comfort myself when hes not there. he's not even conscious he cant hear me he can't feel my heart beating outside of my chest or feel my tears soaking his clothes. he's not going to wake up is he.

"payton, payton please please wake up." i sob. i start singing little things.

"your hand fits in mine like it's made just for me. but bear this mind it was meant to be. and i'm joining up the dots with the freckles on your cheeks and it all makes sense to me." i can't sit here anymore. i need to leave but i can't i can't leave without payton i can't leave him here i can't just abandon him. he's my fiancé. oh no. he's my fiancé. we're supposed to get married. he can't die on me. he can't just stop living. it's not right this isn't ok i can't breathe i can't move i can't speak i don't know what to do. i feel like my heart is in my stomach i don't know how to feel. hours go by and he still hasn't woken up. i can feel his heart beating, i just wish he was conscious. i open my phone to see what time it is and notice i have missed calls from the girls, but i dont care. i call my mom and walk into the hallway.

"mom?" i just sound like i'm crying.

"tess what's wrong? are you ok?" she asks.

"mom payton got into a car accident." i sob.

"what? is he ok?" she sounds worried.

"he had surgery and the doctors are saying he might not wake up." i cry into the phone.

"i'll be there soon honey." she tells me.

"ok mom. i love you." i say trying to calm down. i hang up the phone and i sit down on a chair and pull it next to payton. i sit there and look at him.

"wake up. come on payton get up. we're supposed to get married we're supposed to be together for the rest of our lives. i will not let you just lay here and not say a single thing i won't let you do that i will not let you stay unconscious now get up!" i stand up and begin to yell. i can't do this, i'm starting to get mad. i walk out of the room and just stand here.  i sigh and shake my head. i take a deep breath and go back into the room and sit by payton. i hold his hand and lay my head on the side of the bed. i feel a light squeeze on my hand. i look at payton's hand and watch it squeeze my hand tight. i look up at his face.

"tess?"

*oop cliffhanger*