The Dark Forest :24

••The morning star rose silently and brightly into its place in the sky. All the contestants were lively waiting for round one of the Grand Magic Games, all but one.

"Natsume it's almost time for the games to start, aren't you coming?" Natsu asked in his usual tone, cheerful.

"I'm in too much pain. I'll be there later. But just keep an eye on my Ice Dragon for me." She responded from behind the door. She hadn't come out since last night and he was worried.

"Alright. I hope you feel better." With that concerned comment he walked to the balcony to watch today's game.

---------------------------------------

"I told her to come with me, but like you she appears to be very stubborn." Chi pouted as she paced in a room of total darkness.

"It's fine. After the Dragon Kings Festival my brother will take care of her. I trust him enough with my precious daughter." Conan said to his beloved.

"Are you sure he can take care of her? Your brother is not the most kind man, especially to Dragons." She asked with concern lacing her voice. Conan gave her a smirk as her ruffled her hair.

"If I know Natsume I know she'll be fine. All she needs is someone to keep her in one place, she has a habit of wondering."

"I know all to well of that. But it appears she has found love within that human Ice Dragon Slayer."

"She has already taken that into consideration. She had her Shadow Dragon wipe his memories of her and transform them into nightmares. It's one of the spells of the Wolf Demon Tribe, it's called Dark Forest. It transforms all good memories of something and turns them into nightmares, the caster is then left with those memories. She told him it was Midnights Clock, they are similar spells, but once Dark Forest is cast it can't be reversed." Conan whispered as he disappeared. Chi's eyes softened as she watched her beloved fade away into dust.

"Until next time my love." She whispered as she also began to fade. Her eyes opened as she sat up in her bed. "My beloved knows our child very well, I just hope I can one day know her like he does."

-----------------------------

"Welcome everyone to Day 1 of the Grand Magic Games, kabo!!!" Mato shouted with glee as the crowd erupted in cheers.

"Today's event is Dark Forest. It's inspired by the ancient beasts that once roamed the Earth, Demons." Mato explained as the arena transformed into a forest of black trees and shadows.

••Someone scoffed at the announcer as he disappeared into the shadows.

"Each team must pick a representative to participate in today's event. Have fun, kabo!" Mato cheered with glee as the crowd cheered with him.

"I think I should play today. I want to show you guys how good training by myself looks." Haru smirked as he punched his fists together.

"I don't think that's a good idea. I mean you're still recovering from your... injuries." Lucy suggested.

"I'll be fine. It wasn't that bad anyway." He grinned as he turned and walked toward the tunnel.

"He seems fine. I doubt he even remembers what happened last night." Gray said as they watched Haru come out of the tunnel, waving to the crowd.

"Of course he doesn't remember, it's because of the spell." Levy spoke up as everyone stared at her.

"What do you mean by that?" Erza asked.

"It turns out the real name for that spell is called Dark Forest. It's an ancient spell only known by an extinct race."

"And what race would that be?" Gray questioned.