Temporary Goodbyes

I woke up in what looked like a hospital bed with an IV hooked up to my arm and my broken arm was somehow healed! Maybe I was dreaming; and I moved my fingers just to be sure. I definitely wasn't dreaming. How did my arm heal so quickly? I sat up and looked around the room, it was very high tech and it had many hovering machines that were scanning my heart rate and hydrating me. Just then, a door slid open and T'Challa, the new Wakandan king walked in the room. "It's nice to see your eyes open Dr. Foster." he smiled pleasantly at me. He walked over to my machines and checked them. "You can call me Sadie." I politely replied. "Lovely name." he complimented. "Where am I? Where's Bucky?" I asked. My heart rate went up on the machines in anxiety. I had fainted during the battle with Tony and I didn't see what else had happened. "You are in Wakanda. Sergeant Barnes is in a recovery room getting his injuries checked out. He's been asking for you." his response made me immediately get up from my bed and then I stumbled at my sudden action. T'Challa helped me up "Are you alright Sadie?" I held onto his arm for dear life. "I'm fine, probably got a little excited." I said embarrassed. "No need to be embarrassed, Sergeant Barnes is very anxious to see you." he replied sympathetically. "I'll take you to him." he escorted me to the room where Bucky was being treated. 

    Bucky was sitting on a examination table as nurses where giving him an IV and examining the damage done from the fight. Steve was looking on in concern. "Sergeant Barnes, you have a visitor." T'Challa announces as he brought me in. Bucky looked in our direction and his eyes lit up and he smiled excitedly. "Sadie!" "Bucky!" I exclaimed happily. Somehow my strength found itself again and I practically ran towards him. He embraced me with his one remaining arm and held me close. I felt his body shake as he was crying happily. I was crying too; I was so happy that he was alive. "I was so worried." his voice shook with tears. "I was worried for you too." I could barely see him through my tears. Bucky stroked my face and kissed me lovingly. I returned the kiss in bliss, and all our problems seemed to fade away. We stopped kissing, but we held each other close in peaceful silence. "Ah, love. The strongest thing in the whole world." T'Challa remarked. Steve smiled in agreement. I smiled back and held Bucky's hand. "I love you." I whispered kissing him on the cheek. "I love you more." he whispered back and kissed me. 

  "How are you feeling?" I asked Bucky while I was stroking his hand. He kissed my forehead, "I'm okay, but my head isn't." "What do you mean? I thought your bad memories were gone." I said surprised. "They're not as bad, thanks to you." he smiled gratefully. "They are still there," he took a deep breath. "I'm so sorry. I failed you." some tears escaped again. Bucky held me close, "No, you didn't fail me, sweetheart. You showed me more compassion than anyone I've ever met. You helped me in more ways that you don't know, and you helped my trauma go away." he smiled at me. "I'm forever grateful to you, Sadie."  I smiled back and touched his face. "I'm glad to have been of help."

      Bucky then revealed to me that he made the decision to go back under the ice to fully clear his head. "I can't trust my own mind. So, until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head I think going back under is the best thing... for everybody." the light in his eyes fully appeared and he smiled at me. "I'll be thinking about you the entire time." I smiled tearfully "I'm so glad you're making this decision. I know we'll see each other again soon." suddenly my voice broke, "But I'll miss you so much." More tears slid down my face. He hugged me for what seemed like an eternity, and being in his embrace felt like the safest place in the universe. "I love you so much Sadie. I promise the second I wake up I will come find you." he proclaimed. "I love you always and forever, Bucky. I promise to be there when you wake up." We shared one final kiss before he walked up to a platform, was strapped to a board, a sheet of ice slid over him, and his eyes closed.