Chapter 1

Authors' note: here we go! Third part is here! Let's go!

Melody sighed holding Sakura on her back as Sasuke carried Naruto back to the village.
"That was fun..." She mused quietly, Sasuke hummed in response, his mind elsewhere as the two walked through the forest. "what do you think has happened to the village?" She asked, Sasuke shrugged his shoulders.
"I guess we'll find out when we get there." He muttered, she rolled her eyes and glanced up at the sky as it was clouding over.
"How are you feeling anyway?" She said, Sasuke inhaled deeply.
"I'm not in pain. How are you holding up?" He asked back, she shrugged her shoulders, causing Sasuke to sigh. "I'm sorry... again." He whispered, Melody shook her head and reached her hand out touching his arm gently.
"I'd go through a lot worse for you... trust me, doing that again, isn't a problem." She gave him a small smile. Sasuke glanced at her once as she let go of his arm, she was sweating, and the pulsing orange glow was flittering across her body as they continued to walk. He looked away in shame, he had promised her to not let the curse out again, so she wouldn't have to seal it on to her, but again he failed her, she had decided to do what she did back in the forest of death to save Sasuke from the curse. He tensed and untensed as they spotted the gates to the village.
"We're here." She said shakily, the glowing stopped as a smile graced her features, Sasuke nodded and they walked into the broken gates, they glanced around, everyone had been cleaning up the aftermath of the attack. They headed through, buildings were burning, glass windows had been shattered, shinobi lay dead. Melody lowered her gaze, sadness washing over her until they made it to the front of the Hokage's building.
"Where is everyone?" Sasuke finally asked, Melody shook her head a frown forming. "we should have at least met some of the Jonin." He added, Melody was about to respond when she spotted Kakashi and Anko walking towards them.
"Kakashi..." She began but stopped as they stood in front of them both with grave expressions.
"I'm glad you found Sasuke. Well done..." He glanced behind and two medics ran forward taking Sakura and Naruto from Melody and Sasuke.
"Where is everyone else?" Sasuke asked, Kakashi's eye flickered to Sasuke before back at Melody.
"Sasuke. What you did was reckless. But I am glad you are safe... now we have some information to tell you both." He said quietly, Melody stepped next to Sasuke and he pressed his shoulder against hers. Anko stared at the floor,
"as you already know Melody, before the Chunin rounds began... Hayate was murdered by the ones who attacked us today." Kakashi explained, Melody clenched her fists by her side, this news not new to her. Sasuke's eyes widened.
"What? How did this happen?" he asked his voice raising in anger and shock. Anko glanced up at the two.
"In more recent... Melody, Sasuke... the Third-" Her voice cracked, and the two kids looked at each other and back at Kakashi and Anko.
"...is dead."
Their eyes widened, their jaws dropped, the tears welled in Melody's eyes and she shook her head in disbelief. The thoughts after Naruto and Gaara's fight were that of the Third, if only she had been there. Her eyes closed, and her breath caught as the tears dripped off her cheeks and onto the ground.
"It can't be!" She gulped back tears, Sasuke lowered his head in sadness as Melody cried "first Hayate... why did this happen?" She whispered she brought her hands up to her face, her shoulders shaking. "Lord Hokage no..."
Sasuke reached forward and took Melody's wrist in his hand and pulled her towards him, his arms wrapped around her small frame and she began to cry harder, her hands gripping Sasuke's top. Sasuke stared blankly over her shoulder, as Kakashi and Anko stared silently at the crying girl, who served and loved the Hokage with all her heart, but not once did the demon inside take over as she cried, as her emotions took over, only her finger glowed as Sasuke held her tightly his own finger glowing as the last of the sunlight disappeared the darkness engulfing the village in quiet mourning.

The next few days had passed slowly for the village, as preparation for the funeral were underway. The quietness of the village left them all to their own accord. Naruto and Sakura had been sent home after being in hospital, both recovered from the attack. Whilst Kaiya and Clay were nowhere to be found, the news of the Third Hokage's death had spread like wild fire through the village and neighboring lands. Melody sat on her bed staring at the floor, Melody hadn't heard from anyone, she was worried about Kaiya, but knew there was nothing she could do when she couldn't even snap herself out of her misery.
"Melody?"
Her head looked up slowly and Kakashi was stood by the door, dressed in black matching her own.
"Yeah?" She whispered, Kakashi stepped in his hands in his pockets.
"I'm going to the memorial, I'll meet you at the funeral, please find Kaiya to go with her." He said, Melody nodded her head as he turned and headed away from her room. She waited till she heard the door close before she curled up on her bed again, it was dawn, only a few more hours were left till she had to say goodbye.