To Drink Or Not To Drink

I stared at the beer in front of me. It was my fourth one that night. The debate on whether or not to drink it was quickly leaning towards a neon sign labeled 'Drink Me'.

"Rough day?" Mac, the bartender, peered at me as he wiped down glasses like some stereotype out of a movie. 

I sighed and took a drink before replying, "I thought it was rough above the dirt. Hell, I was dead wrong on that one."

Mac set the glass he was drying on the rack and leaned on the bar so he could look me in the eye, "You're a cop in Hell. What did you expect?"

I couldn't help but chuckle, "I was a cop above ground too. Wasn't any easier."

"Did you think it was easy when you took the badge?" Mac snorted.

"You know I didn't," I retorted, taking another swig and rolling my eyes. 

Mac leaned over until we were eye to eye, "What's the case?"

"It's an open case, you know I can't talk about it," I replied.

The bartender chuckled, "You know if you don't tell me, I can't help."

He was right. Mac was better than a fly on the wall. As a bartender, he could get anyone to tell him damn near anything. He had helped me with more cases than I could count.

Taking another swig, I finally said, "It's a serial killer. Male, early to mid-20's. Organized."

Mac nodded, leaning back, "Hits a little close to home doesn't it?"

I chuckled darkly, polishing off my beer, "You have no fucking idea."