Through The Grapevine

"So what exactly are we expecting?" I said, jumping right to the point. I sat on one end of the back seat, Alastor at the other. True enough, he and his town car were waiting outside my building. As soon as I had shut the car door behind me, the car had taken off to who knew where. 

Grinning at me from where he sat at the other end of the bench seat, Alastor replied, "Hello to you too. Seriously, my dear, we really need to work on your manners..."

"Yes, I know, I'm a neanderthal..." I sighed, waving him along, "Get to the point."

Alastor chuckled, an amused glint in his eyes, "As I said before..."

He paused when he saw me waving him along impatiently before continuing, "Long story short is there is a club at the south end of the Pentagram. Once a month there is a meeting of mildly influential sinners. According to the grapevine, their introductory ritual is..."

"To kill." I interrupted, absolutely floored by how wrong I had been in my profile. This wasn't some serial killer or copycat killers I was chasing after...This was a fucking cult. Alastor nodded his agreement, nearly knocking the wind right out of me.

"Son of a bitch," I swore, rubbing my temples. My mind was racing. How the hell was I supposed to bring down an entire murderous cult of crazy sinners? 

"They meet tomorrow night," Alastor's voice interrupted my stream of self-doubt. I looked over at the Radio Demon to see him grinning at me like a kid who had just been offered a shopping spree in a candy store. 

"And I'm guessing you know where?" I asked. 

His grin grew even wider, "Why of course, my dear. You don't think I would offer this up without the crucial details?" 

I took a deep breath and turned my head to look out the window. The streets of Hell slid by like some sort of old movie reel. I had less than twenty-four hours to figure out how the hell I was going to raid a cult.